LSB 8000

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

tburzio

Re: LSB 8000

Post by tburzio »

A treatise on "How to Test and Treat Boiler Water" would be a best seller for clubs all around the country!
SBITNER

Post by SBITNER »

I run my de-humidifier into 5 gallon water bottles and run home made distilled water, it essentially costs me nothing because I am running the de-humidifier anyway and during the summer I can fill 5 gallons in 2 days. Since running distilled water I have had no foaming issues, the inside of my boiler is clean and I don't worry about additives or water quality. While it's probably not an option for you guys running the big engines, it is an easy alternative for someone with a smaller boiler, mine holds about a gallon of water when full.
"Building a steam locomotive is just like eating an elephant, one bite at a time!!"
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

Regarding buying LSB 8000: I recently asked a vendor that was visiting our club track if he had any LSB 8000 to sell, since he was selling steam oil. He told me that Teralyn has hundreds of distributors, as all it take to become one is to buy just 1 case. It comes at a slight discount, I believe, over a single-bottle price. However, they do not offer a bigger discount on multiple cases, so he cannot make any money by stocking it.

I guess I will soon become a distributor, too!

If anybody wants to sell off a few bottles, I would be interested. Just PM me.
John_S

Post by John_S »

tburzio wrote:A treatise on "How to Test and Treat Boiler Water" would be a best seller for clubs all around the country!
The problem therein is that you will never get everyone to agree to a best practice :)
david griner

Post by david griner »

Hello

FredV, could you please comment on how much water soluble oil was typically used at the end of a days running and possibly a brand name?
Thank you, Sir.
Dave Griner
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

...this is not so much about finding agreement on the best way to treat boiler water. As Marty pointed out, there is no 1 solution to fit all locations. At the least, what may be obtainable is some kind of table showing various critical parameters (hi/lo pH, hi/lo dissolved solids, hi/lo oxygen content) and how to treat each combination therein.

I sometimes hear, how long does a boiler last? Like the water treatment question, there are too many variables involved in boiler operation to determine maximum life. If you only fire a model hobby boiler 1x per year, the boiler may last your entire life...and then some. Fire the boiler a little harder, say 1x or 2x per week during Summer months, most likely...the boiler will not last as long before repair or replacement is needed. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
applejak_2000

Post by applejak_2000 »

As a Model Engineer just starting out, I'd like to ask:
What happens if you only use distilled water and nothing else? That is to say bottled distilled water that you buy in the supermarket? Should you still use LSB 8000, treat for acidity/alkinity, deal with dissolved oxygen, solids etc etc?
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

david griner wrote:Hello

FredV, could you please comment on how much water soluble oil was typically used at the end of a days running and possibly a brand name?
Thank you, Sir.
Dave Griner
i put about 2 ounces in a tender full. don't remember what brand but i didn't use the blue stuff. it was more yellow looking.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
david griner

Post by david griner »

To FredV----------Thank you for the information, Sir.
Dave Griner