LSB 8000

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

wmegilljr

LSB 8000

Post by wmegilljr »

Gents,
I cannot seam to find a retailer currently selling LSB 8000. I have always used it in my locomotives and had great luck with it, but I have run out and am starting to see some changes in the way the boilers steam. does anyone know of a current source? I used to get it from the TM store or Green Velvet - but both are not selling it at this time.

Thanks
BIll
tburzio

Re: LSB 8000

Post by tburzio »

Call them direct. Our club buys the treatment by the case and sells it at cost to our members.

http://www.terlyn.com/contact_us.html
wmegilljr

Post by wmegilljr »

Thank you, for some reason I did not think they sold direct. I should think before posting an obvious question.

Bill
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

wmegilljr wrote:Thank you, for some reason I did not think they sold direct. I should think before posting an obvious question.

Bill
I don't agree. By posting, others who may share the same question will have benefitted by your post.

You did good!

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Actually this post came at the perfect time. I too am out of LBS8000 and need to order some Monday.

Thanks for the link.

John B.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

So, it actually works? I have read an article by Tom Patton (I think) about it and heard various things about it, but since you have run your engine before/after what changes are you noticing now that you have run out?
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Benjamin Maggi wrote:So, it actually works? I have read an article by Tom Patton (I think) about it and heard various things about it, but since you have run your engine before/after what changes are you noticing now that you have run out?
when i first started running my Chloe my mentor said to use soluble oil in my last tank of water and run it into the boiler for a lap or two. i did this for several years with no rust showing up in the boiler. the LSB then came on the market and i started using it. ever since i have a lot of rust in the boiler.

now, i will admit i don't know if that would have happened over time anyway but i'm thinking about going back to the soluble oil treatment to see what happens.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
wmegilljr

Post by wmegilljr »

Here at our Nevada Southern Club, we have very bad water and since I ran out I have noticed much more scale building up on the blow downs. That by itself shows that the scale is sticking to the boiler more. But the bigger problem is the boiler is starting to prime/foam. It never did that before with the LSB800.
Fender

Post by Fender »

I suspect that the experience in Pensacola vs. Nevada may be different because of the water. When I lived on the Mississippi gulf coast, we had extremely soft water with almost no dissolved solids. I'm guessing Pensacola is similar. If Nevada is a "bad" water area then there may be a larger benefit to the LSB treatment.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
pwcphoto

Post by pwcphoto »

I had spoken at length to one of the people at Teralyn, the makers of LSB8000. He told me that it only works at a hardness of 8 GPG or below. We use a water softener at our club which takes our very hard water of 58 GPG and brings it down to about 1.5 to 2 GPG. We all use the LSB8000 along with the soft water and our boilers are spotless, the PH is perfect and the TDS is right where you would expect it to be. We have borescoped our boilers and we have no problem with scale buildup at all and no rust. The most important thing you can do is soften your water. If it is too hard the LSB8000 will be ineffective and your boiler will fill with scale over time.

Phil
"I used to be a rocket scientist, now i am just a space cadet"

RMI 3.75" scale Prairie 2-6-2 under construction.
View Progress
http://www.southerncalifornialivesteamers.com/Forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=18&SID=336957b14adb9765a37dez9785dz6cz7&title=steam-locomotive-construction
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Live steamers need to take note of the kind of water you put in your boiler. All waters are NOT created equal. The two primary water concerns (other than always having enough water) are: 1) the dissolved solids and 2) pH (acidity/softness). LSB8000 is NOT a cure for all kinds of waters or water conditions. It is specifically not a water softener either nor do I think it can be considered an oxygen scavenger. From what I've learned, LSB is intended to coat the nooks and crannies inside the boiler and keep dissolved solids in suspension so they can be removed during a blow down. I believe this is all explained in their technical literature.

As such, you may have to use two kinds of treatments...one to address each condition. Haven't seen any documentation about problems using multiple water treatments simultaneously.

Currently, if I'm using rain water...I soften it. If I'm using well water...I treat it with LSB. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

I am often asked 'what's a simple way to treat boiler water?'. The answer is, there is no simple way to treat water. You need to test the water and treat for what you find. Don't assume your water source will always be the same. The first step is to soften the water. You often need to add alkalinity to get it up to the right range. You need to monitor the TDS(Total Dissolved Solids). You deal with the TDS with blowdown. Adding a sludge conditioner will keep the solids in suspension until they can go out tthe blowdown. And you should use an oxygen scavenger to keep entrained oxygen from corroding the steel. This oxygen corrosion usually shows up as pitting on the tubes just ahead of the firebox. In extreme cases it looks like someone drilled a hole in a tube.
For all the above reasons, there is NO 'one size fits all' water treatment.