Tom Thumb Construction Series in LS&OR

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Fender

Tom Thumb Construction Series in LS&OR

Post by Fender »

For those who are following the current construction series in Live Steam & Outdoor Railroading by our own Bill Shields, here are a couple of short videos showing the Tom Thumb Tupperware loco, with Jim Stuart at the throttle and Bill Shields providing tonnage and over-the-shoulder support:

I don't know whether Jim and Bill most enjoyed running this locomotive themselves, or letting others take their turn going around around the challenging Waushakum 3.5" track. :D
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
bcody

Re: Tom Thumb Construction Series in LS&OR

Post by bcody »

I am looking forward to the series.

From what I've seen the basic design could be suitable for scaling up to 7.5" gauge, 1.5" scale. For use out here in the West I would have to convert to propane firing, too much of a fire hazard to run coal with all the dry brush and trees we have out here.

Bill
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

more coming shortly.

was going to finish the next section during my last trip through Sweden and the UK..until my computer and other stuff (passport / wallet / credit cards) were all stolen from the hotel.

This set me back 2 weeks until I could get home to my backups (don't leave home without them).

Getting a new computer is nice, but it then takes 3-4 days to get everything setup and loaded.

yes, the loco will make a good 1.5" and 1" model. I already have the 1" model done for a friend out in Ohio, but will not be discussed inthe LSORR article.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
littleevan99

Post by littleevan99 »

What about a 1.5" scale model? What changed?

Bill Shields wrote:more coming shortly.

was going to finish the next section during my last trip through Sweden and the UK..until my computer and other stuff (passport / wallet / credit cards) were all stolen from the hotel.

This set me back 2 weeks until I could get home to my backups (don't leave home without them).

Getting a new computer is nice, but it then takes 3-4 days to get everything setup and loaded.

yes, the loco will make a good 1.5" and 1" model. I already have the 1" model done for a friend out in Ohio, but will not be discussed inthe LSORR article.
1.5" scale CliShay
1.5" scale 2-10-2T
2.5" 36 Ton Shay under construction
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/littleevan99
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Nothing has changed => except some time has gone by... :lol:

I said it would make a good 1.5" model -> I did not say that I am doing anything about it at this time.

after the 3/4" project is finished and printed in LS&ORR, we will see what interest, if any, there exists in a 1.5" model
littleevan99

Post by littleevan99 »

A 1.5" scale Tom Thumb sounds interesting. I've read one of the parts on building the new Tom Thumb, and it looks like a relatively simple steam engine.

Bill Shields wrote:Nothing has changed => except some time has gone by... :lol:

I said it would make a good 1.5" model -> I did not say that I am doing anything about it at this time.

after the 3/4" project is finished and printed in LS&ORR, we will see what interest, if any, there exists in a 1.5" model
1.5" scale CliShay
1.5" scale 2-10-2T
2.5" 36 Ton Shay under construction
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/littleevan99
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Simple is as Simple does....that's me :lol:

yes it is simple and a good 'starter' for people without a lot of skills or $$ to mortgage the house for machines, transport and castings.

I know now of 3 people building from the series, so I don't feel it has been a total loss...especially if they get something up and running and stay 'hooked' on the hobby instead of getting discouraged and make a 'hanger queen' out of it.
ivatt260

Post by ivatt260 »

Bill Shields wrote:I know now of 3 people building from the series, so I don't feel it has been a total loss...especially if they get something up and running and stay 'hooked' on the hobby instead of getting discouraged and make a 'hanger queen' out of it.
Bill - you have to give it time, of course.

I'm finishing up two locomotives that I started long ago, but life got in the way - and so what? Your construction series will stand, people will build the locomotive, and many will get pleasure out of it. Look at how many people still build LBSC locomotives, so why rush a good thing? I think, over the next 20-30 years, you'll see more and more of these little guys gracing tracks.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

no rush at all....if anyone gets something out of it (even if it is just a laid-back approach to live steaming), then I have accomplished my goal.

The fact that I know of 3 builders is more than I had expected.

Most folks WAIT until they see the end of the article before they start..

Who knows? I might drop dead before I finish the article...THEN where would they be? (actually Tim has a complete set of drawings and could (in a pinch) finish it.

I got burned that way back in the 70's with an article that started, was written using a pirated design and a rubber ruler...and never was finished in the magazine. I completed the loco -> but it just proved that I was 'totally hooked' and crazy as the next guy.

Curly I will never be (losing my hair fast)....it had never occurred to me.

Charlie Purinton is more of my 'look up to' guy....no nonsense...let's build a loco..KISS...and show what can be done with minimum tooling (his shop - that I saw - was a South Bend, drill press and a bunch of hand tools). He might have had a Bridgeport at Wood's Hole, but I didn't see it in his basement...
Oilcan

Post by Oilcan »

Bill:

We are very glad to have your Tom Thumb series running in the magazine. It's a basic locomotive that anyone can build. You, and Tim, have done a great job describing just how to go about its construction. There have been numerous comments from builders and wannabe builders expressing their thoughts about your techniques. You're right - there will be those who will wait for the series to end, and there will be those who will build a decade (or more) later.

Nobody can tell just how much of an impact your series will have on the hobby unitl it goes through the test of time. Even then, the effects may be indistinguishable as they'll be in the form of techniques used in other constructions. They will thus go unidentified, but be an effect none the less.

Keep up the good work!

Neil
Editor Emeritus - Live Steam & Outdoor Railroading
Allen Mogul under construction
Electric RS3
Stationary Steam
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Neil:

you are missing an opportunity to advertise the bbs.livesteam.net thread that is running which shows what others are doing with the project and NOT on Chaski...so I will make the 'plug' here.

I have tried to resist posting about TT here, and keep trying to push folks to your site, but...

Oh well...duplication of effort is the name of the electronic world.

at least it isn't with carbon paper or mimeograph...or ink and parchment... :lol:
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

What happened to the LS forum?