Kozo Hiraoka K-27 engine

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Benjamin Maggi

Kozo Hiraoka K-27 engine

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

I just received a renewal/"please subscribe" notice from Village Press and they say that Kozo Hiraoka is starting a new series based on the K-27 engine. They don't say whether it is 3/4" or 1.5" scale.

I admit I haven't been purchasing new issues lately so perhaps it is/was already mentioned. However, having seen nothing online about the engine it took me by surprise.

Anyone know anything else about it?

And yes... it sounds interesting enough to have me subscribe again!
Last edited by Benjamin Maggi on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
hwboivin3

Re: Kozo Hiraoka K-27 engine

Post by hwboivin3 »

I have heard the rumors as well. I would have to assume it would be for 3-1/2 gauge. I am excited that there is finally something in Live Steam magazine! Usually I leaf through it once, then toss it in a pile with the rest of them.

Speaking of Kozo. I seem to remember googling his name and found a picture of him with a drawing in the background of a Japanese locomotive and I've always wondered what ever became of that.

H
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

99.99999% sure it is 3/4"

Kozo has no way to manhandle a 1.5" loco

Nor are his machines large enough, unless he has moved and purchased a new shop-full of stuff.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Lovesthedrive

Post by Lovesthedrive »

That will be a sweet bunch of articles. I wonder if it will be outside frame.
1969 MF 40 Industrial
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

From what I understand it will be 1" scale to run on 3 1/2" track.

There is already talk from a few others of building some....

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
acbailey

Post by acbailey »

I too got the Kozo "Live Steam and Outdoor Railroading" please come back and subscribe notice yesterday morning. I put a check in the mail that afternoon.

I agree with Andy, I immediately thought 1" scale 3 1/2" gauge even though it was missing from the notice.

It is something to look forward to since detailed articles, for building anything, are scarce to non-existent. I dropped my subscription to Live Steam several years ago since I believe they indicated an emphasis 1 1/2" scale and no more long multi-part build articles.

Art Bailey
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

ah, well 3/4" is coming back, as are 'construction articles'.

The authors are a bit strange, but you take what you can get in this world. :shock:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Yes it's true.. A friend saw the notice at the Cabin Fever show, and emailed me with the news.. Apparently it will be done in 1.2" scale to run on 3 1/2" gauge track.
I sent an email to Neil at LS&ORR, and he told me that it will be in metric, and that there were about 24 sheets of prints, so it should run for 3-4 years..
I have renewed my subscription as well, after a long time being away. I will definitely be building one, anyone else....?
John
Last edited by JohnHudak on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

As a side question, does anyone know of a supplier in the US that carries steel/brass in metric sizes that will sell in small quantities?
John
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

JohnHudak wrote:Yes it's true.. A friend saw the notice at the Cabin Fever show, and emailed me with the news.. Apparently it will be done in 1.2" scale to run on 3 1/2" gauge track.
I sent an email to Neil at LS&ORR, and he told me that it will be in metric, and that there were about 24 sheets of prints, so it should run for 3-4 years..
I have renewed my subscription as well, after a long time being away. I will definitely be building one, anyone else....?
John
I am interested.....but will have to see. I think we talked about this before. I've always liked the K-27s.

Converting metric is no big deal, I know you know that, John. Some of the nominal sizes are close to fractions. I'd say make some of the parts English and some metric. Say, if the piston rod is 12mm....just make it 1/2"....it's only .028" different. Some of the things can be fudged to make them easier for us American builders. Cylinder bores can also be made to fractional sizes so it is easier to get rings....

The drivers have no counterweights....just spoked wheels like the RMI locomotives with flyweights outside the frames. They could easily be waterjet cut from steel....who's going to notice if the spokes aren't tapered?

If we get a group together, we'll need to sit down and figure out what we want to be made exactly to Kozo's drawings and where can we fudge it a bit to make it easier for us to manufacture.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Andy, you're right of course, but I'm just thinking that as long as I'm ordering steel or brass anyway, it will save a few machining steps since the thickness will already be done..
Looking at the metal supplier web sites I have saved, I don't see any mention of metric sizes, so it might be a moot point anyway..
John
SilverSanJuan

Post by SilverSanJuan »

This locomotive is the reason I'll be getting a subscription. I'm a big fan of Colorado Narrow Gauge, and the K-27 tops my list of favorite locomotives. And hopefully, by the time I'm finished with my Kozo A3, I'll have the skills necessary to build this one. :)

Todd