West Coast Live Steam BOOK Project

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

keyrouteken

West Coast Live Steam BOOK Project

Post by keyrouteken »

Most of you know about the great book that the late Charles Purinton authored back in Massachusetts giving all of us personal insight into the beginnings of our great hobby on the East Coast, "Live Steam of Days Gone By" ...

Over the last several years, I have been called upon by many, to write something about the beginnings of our hobby on the West Coast. So, on March 1st of this year, I officially got started. It is a big undertaking! There is much to write about. I feel I am qualified to author this project as I have been an active participant in the West Coast live steam scene for the past 63+ years and knew a lot of the pioneers personally !

I have dozens and dozens of photos of Live Steam activities in my own archives of which to choose from for publication. However, in early June, Robbie Morris sent me another **Thirteen pounds** of photos from the Harry Dixon Collection. They are amazing to behold.

Regarding the main manuscript..... So far I have written SEVEN chapters of history. There will be MORE ! Much more! Chapter SIX contains BIOs of Live Steamers 'other' than my grandfather who Founded GGLS. There are currently NINE bios to date. If any of you or a family member have a photograph or BIO of any of the West Coast PIONEERS in our hobby, I encourage you to drop me a line and tell me what you have, for possible inclusion in this project! OK ??

I have ATTACHED a photo of the current Live Steam Book from the "East Coast". And a nostalgic photo I was involved with, in years past, on the West Coast.

yours in Live Steam,

Ken Shattock
IBLS
Attachments
&quot;Live Steam of Years Gone By&quot;..<br />Published by Edinborough Press.
"Live Steam of Years Gone By"..
Published by Edinborough Press.
live-steam-200.jpg (23.53 KiB) Viewed 9062 times
The year is 1949 at the GGLS track in Oakland's 'Redwood Regional Park'.  It appears that all four rails have not as yet been spiked down. As we wait for clearance, an inquisitive child wonders what is going on !!
The year is 1949 at the GGLS track in Oakland's 'Redwood Regional Park'. It appears that all four rails have not as yet been spiked down. As we wait for clearance, an inquisitive child wonders what is going on !!
Harlock

Re: West Coast Live Steam BOOK Project

Post by Harlock »

Ken,

Real glad to hear it is moving along at a good clip. really looking forward to the finished project to sit beside the Purinton book on my shelf.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

Hello all,

Did this book ever get completed and if so who published it?
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

Where can you get the Live Steam of Years Gone by book?
Adirondack

Post by Adirondack »

keyrouteken wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:52 pm Most of you know about the great book that the late Charles Purinton authored back in Massachusetts giving all of us personal insight into the beginnings of our great hobby on the East Coast, "Live Steam of Days Gone By" ...

Over the last several years, I have been called upon by many, to write something about the beginnings of our hobby on the West Coast. So, on March 1st of this year, I officially got started. It is a big undertaking! There is much to write about. I feel I am qualified to author this project as I have been an active participant in the West Coast live steam scene for the past 63+ years and knew a lot of the pioneers personally !

I have dozens and dozens of photos of Live Steam activities in my own archives of which to choose from for publication. However, in early June, Robbie Morris sent me another **Thirteen pounds** of photos from the Harry Dixon Collection. They are amazing to behold.

Regarding the main manuscript..... So far I have written SEVEN chapters of history. There will be MORE ! Much more! Chapter SIX contains BIOs of Live Steamers 'other' than my grandfather who Founded GGLS. There are currently NINE bios to date. If any of you or a family member have a photograph or BIO of any of the West Coast PIONEERS in our hobby, I encourage you to drop me a line and tell me what you have, for possible inclusion in this project! OK ??

I have ATTACHED a photo of the current Live Steam Book from the "East Coast". And a nostalgic photo I was involved with, in years past, on the West Coast.

yours in Live Steam,

Ken Shattock
IBLS
Ken, I can wholeheartedly recommend www.magcloud.com for a print-on-demand option that handles everything including fulfillment for your upcoming publication. You set the price/markup based on their production costs and wait for the check each month. It certainly beats trying to chase down a publisher who will print 500 copies that languish (or not) long past your own personal expiration date.

Good luck!

Chris
Adirondack Car & Foundry
Check out our projects: https://www.facebook.com/ADKrail/
Visit our ALL-NEW online store: https://adirondackcarfoundry.square.site/

A little locomotive with 4 wheels on the track is a lot more fun
than a 1/2 finished one with 16 wheels on the bench!
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

To my knowledge this book has not been published. Unfortunately Kent Shattock passed away a couple of years ago. I thought that someone was picking up the pieces to try to get it published.

We lost a lot of good history in the mind of Ken. He knew quite a lot concerning live steam
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
Steambldr1

Post by Steambldr1 »

Paul and anyone else interested the book Live Steam of Years Gone By is available from Edinborough Press. The book is $19.95 and I paid $25.70 shipped. Also available on Amazon. On eBay the price was higher.
wbarbe

Post by wbarbe »

I have a copy of Charles Purinton's book and its really great.
I hope someone can get the West Coast book finished or at least offer up what what already written.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Ken sent me a 'very' rough copy of the outline of the book and some of the first chapter just to read through. That was about 10 years ago, now. As far as I know, he didn't get too much further than a rough copy of any of the chapters. The stuff he had was very interesting, though. A shame to say that this book will likely never get made now, unless someone with the heart for it manages to get all of Ken's notes, photos, etc...

What ever happened to the 1/2" scale Coventry Pacific that Ken had? His grandfather had built it back in the 1930's or some time around there, and he had it displayed in his home. He also had a 1" scale 6-2-0 Crampton or something like that which Vic had made in later years.
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

Steambldr1,
Thanks I will order a copy!
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

The Charlie Purinton book is also available from Friends Models.

-John
cp4449

Post by cp4449 »

Good question about the locomotives. I remember that K n said some of his father’s stuff had disappeared.
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member