HELP! LE American eccentric straps

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

DianneB

HELP! LE American eccentric straps

Post by DianneB »

I am working on a L.E. American (new to me) with timing issues and while trying to set the timing I discovered the eccentrics were on the opposite sides from the way it was built (they are marked L and R).

I have a catalogue picture showing the straight rods on the outside and the offset rods are on the inside but the picture doesn't show whether the straight rod is pinned to the top of the Stephenson link on both sides (which I would assume) or not. Being as the rods were mixed up, I don't want to assume anything!

Can anyone confirm straight rods pinned to the top on both sides?

Thanks
David Powell

Re: HELP! LE American eccentric straps

Post by David Powell »

This gets deeper. Stephensons valve gear can have open or crossed rods. With open rods lead will increase as you notch up, with crossed rods it will decrease.Wish I were nearer I would offer to come over and take a look.Does your model run forwards with the reverser forward? Are the eccentrics keyed or set screwed? Perhaps someone with experience of the same model can help. Hope this helps a bit Regards David Powell.
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

David Powell wrote:This gets deeper. Stephensons valve gear can have open or crossed rods. With open rods lead will increase as you notch up, with crossed rods it will decrease.
Open rods
Does your model run forwards with the reverser forward?
Yes
Are the eccentrics keyed or set screwed?
Setscrews, 2 per eccentric - one eccentric was loose originally.

I am the one who reversed the eccentric rods (left/right) when I had it rolled over to tighten up the wear in the eccentric straps and found the oil holes on the bottom a few weeks ago. I figured someone had put them back on the wrong sides so I swapped them side-to side which put the oil holes on the top.

After sorting out a few other problems I was crawling underneath today to set the timing again and with the trouble light just the right way, I saw that there was a faint marking - they were marked L and R! The markings were originally on the top, which is why I didn't see them but now the marks were on the bottom so I put them back the way they were originally (with the oil holes on the bottom) - it must have been built that way.

I have taken a guess reassembled it with the straight (outside) eccentric rod to the top and the offset rod to the bottom and set the timing. Hope I am right!
ken572

Post by ken572 »

One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

Afraid not Ken. I know all the parts of the valve gear but I DON'T know how Little Engines arranged them on the American.

I made a guess that the outside rods are the straight ones and go to the top of the link. Pretty sure that's the way it should be since the link and the outside eccentric seem to line up but confirmation is always good.

It timed out well. Steam test next.
Kevin_S

Post by Kevin_S »

Dianne, the rods that go to the top of the regulate reverse while the bottom regulate forward. Do you by chance have any plans for your American? They are valuable in helping setting up the timing of the engine, as they will get you set up at a starting point.
-Kevin S.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

I am confused about open and closed rods. They are open at one dead center and crossed at the other dead center. What do you mean by this?
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Kevin_S wrote:Dianne, the rods that go to the top of the regulate reverse while the bottom regulate forward. Do you by chance have any plans for your American? They are valuable in helping setting up the timing of the engine, as they will get you set up at a starting point.
-Kevin S.
On my Chloe the exp. link is lowered for fwd. gear that makes the upper rod the active one.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

Fred_V wrote:On my Chloe the exp. link is lowered for fwd. gear that makes the upper rod the active one.
Same on the American
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

My LE American cylinders and related bits are dismantled at the moment (and likely to stay that way for a while) but IIRC the offset arms are on the inside.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

Thank you gwdriver - I figured that's the way they had to go. :mrgreen:
c.p.huntington

Post by c.p.huntington »

Dianne:

The C.P. Huntington I'm constructing has the same valve gear as the your Little Engines
American. I checked my engine and found that the straight rods are on the outside and
connect with the bottom of the link, the rods with the offset are on the inside and connect
with the bottom of the link.

Jeff