A champion is born.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

pkeiser

Re: A champion is born.

Post by pkeiser »

After mucho thought, I think I'm going to "attempt" a B-1 shrouded or hooded Nathan low water arm. So I found this spectacular wondeful and clear old print. I'll see what I can do. I'll get back to you shortly.
I'm not holding my breath here.......
Attachments
NW-B25523.11-10-1942[1].gif
NW-B25523.11-10-1942[1].gif (8.77 KiB) Viewed 7192 times
www.chaski.com
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

Well,,let's see,shall we ? Ya gotta start somewhere. So ya get a 6" steel Starrett rule and ya hold it up and say the first part should be about this size and write that down and cut some metal. Then, sit down again and think about it some more with a 16 ounce can of cold Coors lite.
Attachments
IMG_0014 - Copy.JPG
www.chaski.com
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

The base for our little Nathan low water alarm is arced to fit against the boiler jacket. I use a Criterion boring bore as in the picture. I little pricey but, it's a must in making sand domes and steam domes,etc. fit nicely the jacket. It's also used for machining the correct radiuus for the cylinder saddle. Next, we sand the base to shape and drill some holes and the silver solder the base to the shroud.
Attachments
IMG_0013 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0012 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0015 - Copy.JPG
www.chaski.com
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

Getting there. A little collet holder is just the right thing to hold a round surface and also place it on an angle in your mill vise . Finally, a little silver solder with a very small torch.
Attachments
IMG_0016 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0017 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0019 - Copy.JPG
www.chaski.com
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

A little progress,thought I have no idea what I'm doing. Ya just make it up as you go along I suppose. It's nice to have bead blaster in the shop. Some guys dunk parts in acid to clean them up but I prefer to shoot abrasive sand at it !
Attachments
IMG_0048 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0049 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0050 - Copy.JPG
Last edited by pkeiser on Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.chaski.com
NP5002

Post by NP5002 »

Looks Great Paul.
Dave Workman
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

The little clamps that hold the rod and the pipe was a much larger piece of brass before it took it's final shape. That was a little stinker to make. The picture attached is pretty much what the final product will look like. I'm going to add some very small valves and plumbing and that will make me happy..More Coors......
Attachments
IMG_0051.JPG
IMG_0052 - Copy.JPG
www.chaski.com
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

C'mon Paul. Fess up now...you've got Jack Bodemann helping you there in your shop, right?

Haha...looks absolutely dazzling!

Rob Gardner
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

Our little Nathan low water alarm is finished. I used a 16 gauge sheet metal base before I started making all the small parts to hold everything in place and finally silver solderd into one complete assembly. The sheet metal also acts as a template for drilling the mount holes on the locomotive. Now, we just paint the little honey and I show my wife for her approval. I think..........
Attachments
IMG_0092 - Copy.JPG
www.chaski.com
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

This is the last of my "attend" to make a Nathan low water alarm. I promise ! On to something else. Anyway,the last thing is to paint it. I use Rustoleum Industrial spray cans only.. The paint is far superior to any I have found. It sticks to everything and has a lot solids so 2 light coates will more than do a nice job. It cost about twice that of regular cans of spray paint but well worth the extra money. Home Depot should have it. I get mine from Graingers. Also, I got the very small valves from Mike at Litttle Engines and the "pipe" coming out of the valves is 12 gauge solid copper wire that I strpped the insulation off. Finally we must paint the valve handles red !!!
Attachments
IMG_0099 - Copy.JPG
www.chaski.com
boomerralph

Post by boomerralph »

Beautiful work Paulie!
Ralph M. Reese
St. Augustine, FL
Under Construction
LE Pacific
Allen 10 Wheeler
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

In April 2004 I began a journey. Live steam. I had absolutley no idea what I was doing. This photo was taken 2 years later. I remember because I was still afraid of what I was doing. This is my Hudson 9100. I am very thankful for so many friends that encouraged me and also helped with technical information. That's why today we pass it along to the next guys and girls who also are first entering this hobby. The journey has been worth it all !!!
Attachments
121607_loco-rt_side - Copy.JPG
www.chaski.com