A champion is born.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

southwestern737

Re: A champion is born.

Post by southwestern737 »

Paul,
I am getting ready to paint my smoke box and was looking at the pictures of your engine and I like that color. What type and color did you use on the smoke box?
Thanks,
Brent
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

Brent, google "Eastwood".
This is a automotive supply company in Pa.
Look at the hi-temp paint section or page.
I used the Hi-temp factory gray in spray cans.
It works very well.
Paul
www.chaski.com
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

On to the next thing. Short story: We bought 4 of David Moore's power reversers a little while ago. One for Mike Venezia's Hudson, one for Pam Weiss's Hudson, one for Paul's Northern and lastly one for Mike's Northern. They are not a finished piece; they require a master machinist to build. For those of you who might not know her, Pam is lead tool and die maker for Sherline in San Diego. Pam is brilliant and the best machinist I have ever know. She machined 3 of these reversers and then work has consummed her since and so Paul (ME) has got to make Mikey's for his Northern. But, I am no Pam Weiss. So I'll make one from a raw cylinder casting and fabricate everything else. I'm wondering (again) how the Sam Hill I'm gonna do this. I think I'll start with a couple of cold beers.
Attachments
IMG_0061 - Copy.JPG
Last edited by pkeiser on Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
www.chaski.com
dwilloughby

Post by dwilloughby »

And now we know the rest of the story as to why Hudson Honey has not posted in a long, long time. :(
kvom

Post by kvom »

I saw Pam over a year ago at NAMES. In addition to the loco she was building an airplane model of some sort and had the landing gear on display.
southwestern737

Post by southwestern737 »

Thanks Paul.
Brent
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

I started with a raw casting. Gads ! Where do ya start ? I looked for a place to mill flat and then drilled and tapped 10-32 holes. Then I had to make a fixture to hold the dumb thing. A piece of 3/4" x 3/4" and welded to a piece of 1/4" did the job. I "trued" the little fixture in the mill and drilled the holes to hold the casting. Now I have a start.
Attachments
IMG_0060 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0101 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0100 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0056 - Copy.JPG
www.chaski.com
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

A good memory. First time out of Texas with the 9100 Hudson. This is the winter meet in Largo Florida in 2008 and still no idea what I was doing. Mike is yelling at me " Paulie....drop the table down !! "
Attachments
23.jpg
24.jpg
www.chaski.com
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

Yeah..that was a fun meet....
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

Next, bore and face both sides. Using a boring bar as shown I made sure the dia. was dead on nuts from top to bottom. Faced one side and turned it over and faced the 2nd side. This is why I trued the fixtrue I had made. There will be an alignment issue later on.
Attachments
IMG_0057 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0058 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0059 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0066 - Copy.JPG
www.chaski.com
GeorgeT

Post by GeorgeT »

Paul you scared me, I'm building one of Dave's power reverse units and I'm not a tool & die maker. I'm a hack in a room full of machines.

The power reverse is a nice project, not easy, but fun.

I assume that you are going to sleeve the cylinder?

Love your work, I'm sure you could complete Dave's power reverse without any problem.

Best Regards,

George T.
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

Thanks George. What I'm building is a dummy. You'll notice the cylinder that David makes is longer than my cylinder casting. Hence, a dummy that I'm making. I had the complete " kit " that David sells in house here and I'm a hack also with a room full of machines too. The small ports in the valve area and the fact they have to be drilled with such precision scared me off.
Last edited by pkeiser on Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.chaski.com