Some experiments with Cubify Design

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

kvom

Some experiments with Cubify Design

Post by kvom »

I was gifted with a copy of Cubify Design 2014, an updated version of Alibre Design. I used it to machine one 3D part, a simple cylindrical surface for the base of my A3 steam dome. Then I worked through the online tutorial video on youtube, and have now gotten some basic feel for parametric design using the program.

For 3D parts, I can directly export STL files that I can use with my CAM program, CamBam. However, I was interested in whether I could use it for multi-part designs, where the machining would be 2.5D. The reason for doing so as it would allow me to make assemblies of these parts to check for fit. The problem was that I needed to export the drawings in DXF format.

Thanks to a user on another forum, I found that I could use the program to create drawings for print purposes, and then use these drawing to export as DXF. Problem solved.

I have a plan to build a steam-operated Van Brocklin water pump to use with my locomotive. I have PDF drawings of all the parts from Bill Shields, so I started with one of the major pieces and entered it as a 3D model in Cubify, then produced a usable DXF version of the top view.

Compared to just drawing that view in Draftsight, the Cubify work took several times longer. So I will likely stick with Draftsight for most 2.5D work where I don't want to use assemblies. Note that I'm not designing anything, just copying published plans for CNC machining.
Harlock

Re: Some experiments with Cubify Design

Post by Harlock »

I used a recent version of Alibre/Cubify as a demo and found that it is still a great very low cost solidworks knock off. I don't know that there are any other true solid modelers in that price range with full feature-based model creation. As far as I know The only thing that was missing is that the STL exporter does not have any settings that I could find, so you can't adjust the meshing density / detail when exporting to STL for CNC or 3D printing.

-M
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

Been using Alibre Design for a couple years now. Still need to really sit down and work with it but I've designed quite a bit of small one off parts in it. None CNC. Mostly just documentation designs for myself. It was the only program on the market at the time that was capable of the "part/assembly" concept for "reasonable" money.

Ken-
kvom

Post by kvom »

The ability to specify STL mesh options is under the system options.
Attachments
cubify stl.jpg
jkimberln

Post by jkimberln »

I'm more than halfway through a build on the 1 1/2" pump. I'd say the hard part is the steam head and all the drilled passage ways. I already spoiled one attempt due to a bad casting. Got to make a new casting tomorrow since I'd like to finish it up by Saturday night.

Anyway, I can't see any use in making drawings other than what Bill has provided unless you intend to do a CNC build. It's certainly an easy pump to build overall.

JerryK
kvom

Post by kvom »

I agree that Bill's plans are sufficient. I'm thinking of making 2 at the same time and using my CNC mill for some of the parts.

I also wanted a project to learn more about using Cubify. Otherwise I'd just duplicate the drawings I need in Draftsight and export to DXF.