Bitter Creek President's Day Meet

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harlock

Bitter Creek President's Day Meet

Post by Harlock »

Blessed with very good weather and an accordingly large turnout this year at the President's Day Meet, all the bays were full.

This was also the first meet at which both of my engines were present, since the Chloe's new owner is good friends of Karl and came down for the meet.

Full set of 61 photos is here:
http://mikemassee.com/gallery/v/liveste ... pres_2014/

And some highlights attached.

First up is a group photo of my dad and I and 8 years worth of productivity being in the hobby, the MEG, Chloe and their respective trains.

Second is a good shot of the new gondola ride car I built as a quick-turn project, described in the Riding Scale Railroading forum. The single-truck tender cart is no more.

Third is Anthony Duarte running a tiny little 0-4-0 he purchased from David Watermann. The engine had no trouble climbing the 3% mountain division pulling the engineer. Anthony is in the beginning stages of building an SP pacific.

Fourth is a beefy 0-4-0 named Mighty Moe.

Fifth is Dave McLaine enjoying his new Chloe with friends and family.
Attachments
group photo - 8 years of live steaming.
group photo - 8 years of live steaming.
MEG and her new driver's car.
MEG and her new driver's car.
Mighty Moe
Mighty Moe
Chloe!
Chloe!
Eber's West Valley Consolidation
Eber's West Valley Consolidation
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Harlock

Re: Bitter Creek President's Day Meet

Post by Harlock »

Ed Wishart from Reno was a first time visitor and had a great time with his Allen 10 Wheeler Washoe Zephyr. Ed is frequently seen at Sacramento and at Ken Schroeder's place. We first met at the Train Mountain Triennial. Ed fits the tender onto his MOW car and thus can pack it all into a minivan, making it easy for him to travel far and wide, which he does.

In the second photo, my friend John Heald visiting all the way from New Zealand is taking Ed's engine for a run. John is currently building his 10th locomotive, the 9th being the Darjeeling B-Class locomotive.

In photo 3, Eber West takes his West Valley Consolidation onto the main. The engine is coming along quite well now and the last details are being filled in. New piston rings and sleeves are in and the engine has been re-timed and is sounding very good.

Photo 4: When a crosshead on Eber's engine seized, it prompted me to have the coolest looking flatcar load on the railroad when I brought it back to the bays, with the tender in tow on the rear end. The problem was quickly rectified and the engine was operating again within hours.

Photo 5: Art Reider's beautiful consolidation is still run regularly by his grandson Greg Reiter.
Attachments
Ed Wishart and his Allen 10 wheeler Washoe Zephyr.
Ed Wishart and his Allen 10 wheeler Washoe Zephyr.
John Heald running the Zephyr.
John Heald running the Zephyr.
Eber and the West Valley Consolidation
Eber and the West Valley Consolidation
Taking the west valley back to the shops.
Taking the west valley back to the shops.
Art Reider's engine
Art Reider's engine
Last edited by Harlock on Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Photo 1: I did a lot of night running at this meet, more so that I've done in quite a while. The MEG is fully equipped with cab lamps, glass lamp and headlamp run off a big car battery located in the boxcar. No problems running out of juice. For many of these runs I took the seat out and sat on the floor of the new car and looked directly into the cab. Was quite nice.

Photo 2: Jim Sabin (at rear) and a friend run his MEG Uncle Sam, a sister engine to mine. Jim is also building the same 3" scale bobber caboose as I am.

Photo 3: Jim's fine wood and brasswork on a caboose stove for the bobber caboose interior. I will be making a cast door plate for this item.

Photo 4: Do you think this spot plate is big enough for my engine or should I go a little bigger? Maybe some spinner rims to go with it...

Photo 5: Matt Swain and Dave Rohrer came down and did some track work during the meet, fixing up yard switches and other bugaboos.
Attachments
Workin' on the night moves with the MEG Wendy.
Workin' on the night moves with the MEG Wendy.
Jim Sabin's MEG Uncle Sam.
Jim Sabin's MEG Uncle Sam.
Jim sabin's caboose stove made out of wood.
Jim sabin's caboose stove made out of wood.
Yo dawg...I heard you like spot plates...
Yo dawg...I heard you like spot plates...
Matt Swain doing track work
Matt Swain doing track work
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Photo 1: Jim Higman's huge pacific steamed up and run. Jim started the pacific in the 1960s and finally finished it a few years ago. Sadly he passed away recently. The project started in the 1940s as a club project with Goleta Valley folks. I've run this engine and it's just beautiful, swiss watch. 12" boiler.

Photo 2: Chaski's "FresnoJay" Jason runs RGS #41 with his daughter.

Photo 3: Jason runs Tom Osterdock's newly rebuilt Connor 0-4-0 beam engine with extended boiler.

Photo 4: Doug Maywald runs his RGS #20.

Photo 5: and lastly John Heald taking my engine across the high trestle.

Thanks for looking! Lots more photos at the website link above.
Attachments
Jim Higman's pacific.
Jim Higman's pacific.
14-02-15_bitter-creek-pres-1558.jpg
14-02-15_bitter-creek-pres-1449.jpg
14-02-15_bitter-creek-pres-1209.jpg
14-02-15_bitter-creek-pres-1401.jpg
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

Awesome pictures as always Mike. The one of me and my daughter is awesome. That is the first time she has ever rode with me on a tender while I was firing a loco. Incidentally that was also the longest I have ever run 41, lol.

Well tried to upload some pics but wouldn't take from the phone. Will try again once home from working out of town.

Jason
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

fresnojay wrote:Awesome pictures as always Mike. The one of me and my daughter is awesome. That is the first time she has ever rode with me on a tender while I was firing a loco. Incidentally that was also the longest I have ever run 41, lol.

Well tried to upload some pics but wouldn't take from the phone. Will try again once home from working out of town.

Jason
The tunnel exit shot is a rare one, we haven't run backwards in quite a while. Thanks to Eber for suggesting it.