New Brake Valves

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Asteamhead

Re: New Brake Valves

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Jack,
Your recent brake valves are looking really fine! What a pitty I'm building my A 1239 in just 1 in 10 scale. Otherwise to order one would be a must!

All the best from
Asteamhead
amarget

Post by amarget »

Hi Jack,
I messaged you when you first manufactured these beautiful valves as I am the owner of Bruno's K 36 and would love to purchase a set of 2 1/2" scale ones when available. I was wondering if you have proceeded with them and if not are you proposing too? The engine brake unit currently fitted to the K is not good and although I have done a lot of work on it, it needs replacing.
Thanks Jack
Kind regards
Drew Marget
email: amarget@margeteng.com.au
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I hope to get to the 2-1/2" brake valves soon. As these are a bit bigger than the 1-1/2" brake valves I hope to make them very close to scale. The 1-1/2" brake valves are a bit oversize, they are as small as was practical. I have drawings of both the Westinghouse H6 and S6 valves but no dimensions. Anybody out there have some dimensioned drawings of these valves. Another question, would these be the best valves for narrow gauge engines? Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks
Jack
dregs484

Post by dregs484 »

Hi Jack

Larger narrow gauge locomotives built from the late teens onwards would have had 6-ET brake equipment with the H6 & S6 valves.

Smaller locos would have had a G6 automatic brake valve (train brake) and an S3 straight air brake valve for the locomotive.

The G6 is very similar looking to the H6 but it is shorter in height. Same 'overall' diameter just shorter. I would be happy to have a H6 on my model if it was meant to have a G6.
The S3 straight air valve is a vertical handle moving across a quadrant (like a small version of a power reverser).
A K-36, K-27 would have H6, S6 and in my opinion a prototype meg, forney, sweet Creek style loco would have a G6 and S3. But like the million different styles of loco and railroad preference you would find exceptions to this. In fact the K-36 and K-27 both would have originally had G6 and S3 valves when Baldwin built them.
Railroading : Two Foot Gauge (USA) on 5" Track in Australia

24" between the rails : The Maine Standard Gauge.
amarget

Post by amarget »

Hi dregs484,

Thanks for the comprehensive information. I too am based in Melbourne. Hopefully it will provide Jack with information enough to make a start.
jeffsmith

Post by jeffsmith »

I would like to see the earlier style of brake valve made for the 2.5" scale narrow gaugers. All of the smaller locomotives on the the Rio Grande from the C-25 down used the earlier style brake valves.
An H-6 valve would look out of place.
Just my opinion.

Jeff
robertdean

Post by robertdean »

PM sent
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I am planning to get to the 2-1/2" brake valves soon. Hopefully next month. I still need some help. I have decided to go ahead with the S6 and H6 as before. I still have no dimensioned drawings so If one of you out there has access to these valves and could get photos of them with a ruler or tape measure next to them that would be most helpful. Or even just an overall height. As stated before I would like to make these valves to scale.
Thanks
Jack
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

Jack,

I can send you better scans. And you will still need some basic dimensions from someone to scale. But here are some catalog cuts of the valves.

Steve
H6,S6_Page_1.jpg
H6,S6_Page_2.jpg
H6,S6_Page_3.jpg
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Jack,

Any time I think you can't amaze me anymore, well, in the words of Ronald Reagan:

"There you go again!"

Steve
mspetersen

Post by mspetersen »

I think its interesting they were still listing them as parts available as late as 1971
Mark Petersen

12" x 36" Logan Lathe
ironhorseriley

Post by ironhorseriley »

The H-6 is still in use today on many short lines and tourist railroads. Retro parts are being made by someone to support them.

Jim
Jim, Former railroader, fascinated by wood working & “all things engineered”.