Tormach PCNC 1100

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

H&NERY

Tormach PCNC 1100

Post by H&NERY » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:40 am

I have a chance to buy a used Tormach PCNC1100. It is an early Machine but has had a lot of updates done to it. It also comes with the rapid turn Lathe attachment. I have always wanted to get my feet wet in learning CNC, I had a Sherline CNC mill but just could not make that work for me. This belongs to a friend of mine, he is currently running a 1100M I believe plus this Machine that I am looking at purchasing. I have seen the work he has turned out with these Machines, I am impressed.
He is asking $10,000, I think that is a fair deal considering that he bough the Machine non operational and fixed everything that was wrong with it and did the updates. It does not come with any tooling but I have some R8 tooling so that is not a huge deal right now. The only reason that he is selling this because he wants 2 identical Machines and wants to buy another new one. So basically I am looking at what your thoughts and opinions are. If there is anything I should be looking at with this Machine.

fenichel

Re: Tormach PCNC 1100

Post by fenichel » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:47 pm

I have a Tormach PCNC 770. Your R8 tooling will be usable, but you won't be able to take proper advantage of the 1100 until you get a few of Tormach's TTS toolholders, collets, and chucks. Only with TTS toolholding can you set the effective length of a tool and then use it repeatedly without re-measurement.