G Code Question

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

my2cents

G Code Question

Post by my2cents »

Does anyone know if a G-code produced on a Centroid ACORN Controller (CNC12 conversational)) will work on a machine with Mach4? I know G-code is "Supposed" to be Standard but things are never so simple (or at least in my life). I have a program that I did on my machine (Centroid) and a friend of mine has Mach4 and we wanted to know if they understand each others G-code generated in their Conversation programs. Thank you.
Bill Shields

Re: G Code Question

Post by Bill Shields »

it depends on how each control is set up => is the only honest answer that anyone can give if they know anything about machine programming

some with say it works fine, others will say not....and both can be correct.

you are just going to have to try some simple stuff then add more and take it a step at a time.

you are correct in that G0 / G1 / G2 / G3 are all a standard, but beyond that (even how arc centers are defined with G2 / G3) becomes a control setting and not to be Ass u MED
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
my2cents

Post by my2cents »

Thank you! I guess we will have to play with it and hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

The differences will be most likely minor and always consistent....an error in arc center definition...if wrong ...will be wrong the same way every time.

Once you figure out what changes are needed, you are 3/4 of the way there.

Too many things going on to bother listing them.