Anybody have experience with Autodesk's Fusion 360?

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Anybody have experience with Autodesk's Fusion 360?

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Can anybody comment on whether Fusion 360 is ready for prime time - at least doing parts drawings and 3D renditions???

Thanks
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
ken572

Re: Anybody have experience with Autodesk's Fusion 360?

Post by ken572 »

You can download a FREE TRIAL here: 8)

http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion ... fgodMhMATg

Enjoy. :wink:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
mspetersen

Post by mspetersen »

I see they now offer the full Fusion 360 Ultimate package for $300/yr. Pretty reasonable for 3D drawing software that includes CAM set-up software, which Solidworks does not. Its also available in a Mac version, for you apple fans, so you don't have to flip over to Bootcamp to run it.
Mark Petersen

12" x 36" Logan Lathe
kvom

Post by kvom »

Seems there wit will be free to hobbyists. CAM is based on HSMWorks, which is a proven product.
woodguy

Post by woodguy »

It's free now - you can sign up for a 1 year (renewable) "enthusiast" license.

I've done a little with it the past couple of days and it looks good. I tried onshape but found that the network traffic was too much for my limited bandwidth. Fusion 360, while exhibiting some delays, is perfectly usable.
WJH

Post by WJH »

I replaced Solidworks with Fusion360
jschoenly

Post by jschoenly »

I'm working on using Fusion 360 as my CAD having come from Solidworks/ProE etc. I'm still getting used to some things, but I like it a lot. Using the CAM for Mill and Lathe as well. I've already been able to edit the posts a little for my machines and I'm very happy with it.
Jared Schoenly

Cabin Fever Expo
Model Engineering of all sorts.....
WJH

Post by WJH »

jschoenly wrote:I'm working on using Fusion 360 as my CAD having come from Solidworks/ProE etc. I'm still getting used to some things, but I like it a lot. Using the CAM for Mill and Lathe as well. I've already been able to edit the posts a little for my machines and I'm very happy with it.
The one thing that drives me nuts is the way they do joints. They should stop trying to be different and copy Solidworks exactly in that regard.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Got the free download only to find it has no provisions for lathe work. Seems to be fine for mills!

A bit hard to grasp!

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
WesHowe

Post by WesHowe »

Actually, I found it to be pretty easy to work with. I use it for drawings and 3D printing design. It is a parametric modeler, or so I have been told. If you turn off history or make a base feature you can draw up things with fixed dimensions, move faces around, and pretty much everything you expect for solid work.

Where it shines are things like sketching a profile, then turning it into a tubular body with revolve. Later on if you decide the lip on the tube is not right, you can edit the original sketch and the changes reflect in your work, even if you have by now combined the tube with another shape.

I'm a fan now...
WJH

Post by WJH »

Dave_C wrote:Got the free download only to find it has no provisions for lathe work. Seems to be fine for mills!

A bit hard to grasp!

Dave C.
No provisions for Lathe? Do you mean the Cam part of it? I never bothered to look at that part, but certainly you can model anything you want.
jschoenly

Post by jschoenly »

It certainly does have Lathe CAM, It's all i've used for CAM so far. In the setup, there is a drop down for Mill, Turning or Mill/turn and Water/Plasma/Laser. Works pretty well, although I lost some tool library items in my cloud folder....
Jared Schoenly

Cabin Fever Expo
Model Engineering of all sorts.....