Mill Block Diagram - Setup Diagrams - Boss3 Build

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

ctwo

Mill Block Diagram - Setup Diagrams - Boss3 Build

Post by ctwo »

Now I've got my Boss3 Mill head back together and running smooth, I need to plan out the cnc control. I will use either Mach 3 or Linux CNC.

I know I'll need an E-stop button. Some of the mills I've seen have additional switches and knobs, but I'm not sure what they're used for. Anyway, I was looking for some basic block diagrams to get ideas of what controls I want on the machine.

One specific question is how do most reverse the spindle when using back gear? Is this typically handled in the program and assume the operator has the machine in the proper gear, or is there a manual switch, or something more fancy like an integrated sensor with the back gear lever?
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
GlennW

Re: Mill Block Diagram - Setup Diagrams - Boss3 Build

Post by GlennW »

M03=Forward
M04=Reverse
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Ahh, so that's why CNC operators get paid the big bucks :P
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

MO3 &MO4 are correct until you go into backgears and then they will be backwards........

Bob
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

All, I see now that my setup will initially be limited to merely 5 inputs because of my BOB (basically a DB25/C10 type).

One way I've seen is to wire 3 xyz limit switches and the E-stop in series to one input (10); then each xyz axis home switch to 3 individual inputs, and the last input to a probe for zeroing the tool.

Another way is to wire the xyz limit switches in series to one input, then the xyz home switches to another input, and the E-stop and probe to their own inputs. That leaves one open input for something else.

Is there a problem with wiring the XYZ limits in series with the E-stop? If I did that in the second configuration I would have two free inputs.

I believe my switches are 'normally closed' wired from 5V to the BOB input pin with a pull-down resistor, then the Mach 3 input pins set for active low (except the probe will be active high).

I also have a 6-axis hand controller, the typical type with two knobs and a dial, that I hope to use as well.

Another basic question is how should I connect Mach3 to my WJ200 VFD? USB (not Ethernet) direct from PC to VFD?
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Here is how I'm wiring the switches. I have one input left. Not sure yet how I'm going to control the spindle. I do have a schematic for an opto-isolated PWM to 0-10V conversion. I was also going to explore Modbus.
Attachments
limits-estop.png