Centroid finally taking Acorn orders

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

DICKEYBIRD

Centroid finally taking Acorn orders

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Ordered mine ($265) this morning along with the "Pro" ($99) software. Supposed to ship next week. Hope it's worth the wait!:)
Milton in Tennessee

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Re: Centroid finally taking Acorn orders

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Indeed. I can say now that I was one of the Beta testers and have been working with it coming up on a year now.
Please visit the Centroid Acorn page: http://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_diy ... oller.html
And the Centroid User Forums. I just posted a couple of videos and provided links there. (very top of the page)
http://centroidcncforum.com

I would give it some serious consideration, Both hardware and software from the same company. Ethernet based 4 axis step and direction, with support for TRUE spindle encoder input, that can potentially be used for lathe threading, constant surface speed on the lathe and potentially for Rigid tapping on the mill. It also has an analog output to control a VFD and some DC controllers. 8 inputs and 8 outputs, two of which have relays. Uses the same software as their industrial grade controls. The price includes software that will get you going. The pro upgrade is $99 but you can buy it at anytime.

Support is PEER based, go to the user forum and post your questions or concerns there. Centroid support staff will be monitoring the forums, those of us already using them can try and help as well. Because of the low entry price point, they chose to handle support in this manner. However, the do have a pay option where they can remote into your computer and check your configuration and try and help with it. They can not help with wiring issues, or choosing stepper motors etc. They have MANY wiring diagrams to help get you started as well. Just pick the closest match to your application.

As with any new product, I'm sure there will be some growing pains. Please be patient and post to the forum. Centroid will address them.
Collectively we can help Centroid improve the product to be the best that it can be. Product suggestions are welcome.

Its just another offering, with some innovative features, not all of which have been affordably available to the home hobbyists and educational institutions. If can be driven with step and direction, Acorn can drive it.

Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

DICKEYBIRD wrote:Ordered mine ($265) this morning along with the "Pro" ($99) software. Supposed to ship next week. Hope it's worth the wait!:)
Do let us know how you make out with it Dickybird!
Marty
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

How are you coming with Acorn Dickeybird? Any pictures or video of your progress?
Marty
DICKEYBIRD

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Spent way too long this morning fiddling around with teeny little crimp-on terminal pins for the encoder cable. I think it's OK so now I'm working on the 4.08 software update so the encoder test can be done. I'm so S-L-O-W!
Milton in Tennessee

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Did you see the DB-9 connectors with TERMINAL block and HOOD I posted on the forum? No soldering
I HATE Solder cups, I used DB9's with Crimp terminals, crimp the pin on, push them in the hole.

The setscrew blocks make it even easier!