G0678 CNC Conversion Build Log

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: G0678 CNC Conversion Build Log

Post by Harold_V » Thu May 31, 2018 1:29 am

Thanks, Dave. You sure do pretty work. :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

GlennW

Post by GlennW » Thu May 31, 2018 8:46 pm

That's a REALLY nice conversion that you have done!

I switched to using form taps for anything 1/4" and smaller.

No swarf to pack the flutes and plug up the bottom of the hole causing tap breakage.

Different tap drill sizes needed, and Moly Dee tapping fluid is the way to go, but other than that, I just push the big green button and don't even think about a tap breaking.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:59 am

GlennW wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:46 pm
I switched to using form taps for anything 1/4" and smaller.
I had to tap a large number of holes when I built the switch plates for the low voltage control light system for our house. I decided the form taps would be a great choice. While I made the plates with my Haas, I tapped the holes afterwards, using a Procunier tapping head. I really enjoyed not having to deal with chips, and could tap to full depth without issue. A great way to generate threads.

I've never tried tapping with my CNC--although I do have a couple of tapping adapters and collets. It's not equipped with rigid tapping. Maybe someday---when need arises.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

Dave_C

Post by Dave_C » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:34 pm

I got the chip guard finished! It works pretty well and it just lifts out of the 1/4" channel when I need to make a tool change. I may at some point add a back splash didn't spray to far to the rear so maybe I'll just go with it as it is.

I made a 4 1/2" table extension towards the front of the table out of .080" aluminum and bolted the channels to the plate. The 4 1/2" is just enough that the end of the mill vise fits inside the guard but still allows me to get the vise handle on to clamp parts. It keep the chips out from under my feet and off the front of the mill ways.

It's not obvious but to insert the vise hold down bolts I have to remove two #6 screws and then the end channel comes off. Easy to do but kind of a pain so I just leave the bolts in the slots now since I have more than one set of vise bolts!

0522181311 (2).jpg
0522181312 (2).jpg
Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.

GlennW

Post by GlennW » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:05 pm

Someone added a folded sheet metal tray with a drain to mine of similar dimensions to your extension.

The table was made with drains as is my Bridgeport table.

Certainly nowhere near as nice as yours, but it works very well at catching the coolant.
DSC01018.JPG
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!