Redcam benchtop cnc

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

ryanbcnc

Redcam benchtop cnc

Post by ryanbcnc »

I am looking for people with experience with one of these mills or something similar. I know it is small and I cant expect it to perform like a true cnc mill and it wont even compare to a Knee mill. At this point I cannot even accommodate a knee mill for many reason including weight.

I am wondering if people have had luck with making decent parts out of steel, aluminum ect with this style mill. The owner had a couple of the parts he had made from aluminum and they are to size and looked good other then some chatter which could be lack of programming knowledge on his part or it could of course be the machine. From what I understand it is an offshore mill with ballscrews and steppers installed. The cnc conversions were done stateside. The machine is quite old but has had very little use and all the scraped ways still look new as well as the table top and ball screws. The mill itself looks to be much heavier and well built then a lot of the manual mil/drills I see from King Canada and Busy bee. The round column obviously creates one problem but it seems to be something that can be worked around once I get used to it.

The owner is asking 4k bottom line with a 4th axis. I only have experience with much...much bigger machines then this so any EXPERIENCED insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!
Attachments
redcam1.jpg
redcam2.jpg
Last edited by ryanbcnc on Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
FKreider

Re: Redcam benchtop cnc

Post by FKreider »

Not sure if it is just me but I can not get the images to load, can only see the tumbnail preview and its too small to see any detail.
-Frank K.
ryanbcnc

Post by ryanbcnc »

FKreider wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:56 am Not sure if it is just me but I can not get the images to load, can only see the tumbnail preview and its too small to see any detail.
My mistake I only uploaded thumbnails.. should work now.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

They have been around a while...mostly schools

http://www.redcam.ca/products.html

once upon-a-time I wrote a post processor for one of these...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
thunderskunk

Post by thunderskunk »

Full disclaimer: I’m “that guy.” I don’t have experience with this mill, and I totally understand that you wouldn’t have room for anything bigger or heavier. But just for reference:

My only point is that 4K is a lot for what he’s asking when you can get that robodrill for 3K. Especially if you need to upgrade software/hardware to accommodate larger program files associated with modern CAM.

Where are you located?
"We'll cross that bridge once we realize nobody ever built one."