Mach3 and digitizing with 3d probe to create G code

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

JohnR

Mach3 and digitizing with 3d probe to create G code

Post by JohnR »

I wish to use the mach 3 digitizing wizard and a 3D probe to scan castings to make patterns.
After scanning I would like to import into my Cad Cam package and adjust to create a viabale
pattern on either the mill or router.
Anybody done anything like this .
I cannot find any information on the Mach wizard such as a manual or tutorials.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JohnR
ctwo

Re: Mach3 and digitizing with 3d probe to create G code

Post by ctwo »

I used the hoss blue screen package since he made probing macros, and a home made probe. If I recall, it generated a point map in stl format.

https://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vi ... be#p371856

There is a zip download in the thread here: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop ... e-set.html
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Or actually it might have been the big-tex probing screenset. That's what my screenset looks like. The site is gone but the screenset can be downloaded from here:

https://ngeneyes.com/domains/big-tex-tk/

You can see an image of it here: https://www.machsupport.com/downloads-u ... creensets/
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

It is not just the final surface but how you get there.

Where you are headed is truly an experience
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Thanks again for the replys but I am still looking for help.
What I am looking for I a digitizing software for contour work that is applicable
to mach 3 platform.
It will be used to digitize molds used for thermoforming both male and female
cavities, also the occasional train part.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
John D.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

so you are looking for

something that will drive MACH 3 XY to create points using a 'rough boundary' of the surface and a touch probe

and / or

something that will take a point cloud and create a 3D surface from it that you can feed to a CAM system to create G-code to drive the cutting tool
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Bill
A program that will create a point cloud for 3d surface that can be imported into
cad cam (probably Bob Cad) to create g code .
I will be using a ball style digitizing probe.
I have looked at Crafty Cnc which will do X and Y for perimeter but also need Z for contours.
Need to run on Mach platform.

Thank you

JohnD
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

did not know that BobCAD did point cloud sorting....guess i am a decade or 4 behind the times with their capabilities.

all things considered...it will probably be well worth your while to just take the part to someone with a laser scanner and be done with it.
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

Try Probeit - craftycnc.com - Probeit can be used w/o a license but limits the size of the surface to be digitized. $30.00 gives you an unlimited number of points. Download for free and use your digitizing probe for objects of any size or shape - external or internal with 'Probeit" as is... Loads into Mach and fits like a glove...
BC
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Once you have the surface you need software that will let you rough out what you do not want so that you can get close to the finished surface with a finish tool.. usually a ball mill.

Depending on the nature of the surface...the mill size can be very small.

Hence the challenge. Every CAM system that does any type of surfacing support claims to be the best..with dozens of different strategies to move the tool around the most efficiently and provide the best surface.

Deciding which strategy and tool size to use is the art of surfacing. Too small a tool and it takes forever. Too large a tool and you cannot 'get into' many places.

Hence...just having the point cloud is only the smallest part of the battle
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

I believe this task is like any other CNC work. A person must have an understanding of what can and cannot be done and that would include the tooling size and shape to do the machining - especially contouring. This digitizing software is setup for an objects size and the detail required which is the distance between points. Roughing is done as with any contour - start high !! or the way I would do it is to make the contour surface in CAD from the point cloud, then allow the CAM portion do the tool-paths - both roughing and finishing. That has worked for me anyhow... I may need to try for effect the first time though - then correct accordingly.
BC
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

There was a discussion here a while back about doing a 3D CAD model of a locomotive driver and the fillets on the model. My method is to make the 3D model without fillets and size a cutter for the fillet. I suppose the main reason for that is because my CAD software will not form a fillet between to entity's, they must be a solid. Once they are a solid they can no longer be modified without basically taking the model back apart. Sometimes a ball is the only way other than a very small hog nose - very small, very fragile hog nose.
This is somewhat similar to working with points...
BC