Tormach PCNC 1100

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

H&NERY

Tormach PCNC 1100

Post by H&NERY »

I have a chance to buy a used Tormach PCNC1100. It is an early Machine but has had a lot of updates done to it. It also comes with the rapid turn Lathe attachment. I have always wanted to get my feet wet in learning CNC, I had a Sherline CNC mill but just could not make that work for me. This belongs to a friend of mine, he is currently running a 1100M I believe plus this Machine that I am looking at purchasing. I have seen the work he has turned out with these Machines, I am impressed.
He is asking $10,000, I think that is a fair deal considering that he bough the Machine non operational and fixed everything that was wrong with it and did the updates. It does not come with any tooling but I have some R8 tooling so that is not a huge deal right now. The only reason that he is selling this because he wants 2 identical Machines and wants to buy another new one. So basically I am looking at what your thoughts and opinions are. If there is anything I should be looking at with this Machine.
fenichel

Re: Tormach PCNC 1100

Post by fenichel »

I have a Tormach PCNC 770. Your R8 tooling will be usable, but you won't be able to take proper advantage of the 1100 until you get a few of Tormach's TTS toolholders, collets, and chucks. Only with TTS toolholding can you set the effective length of a tool and then use it repeatedly without re-measurement.
wewilliams

Post by wewilliams »

So for $8200 + 30% tariff - you can get a cat30 + atc + servo machine shipped from China

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001208 ... 5392%23351
Jim_Nolan

Post by Jim_Nolan »

I have a PCNC 1100 Ser2 which i bought second hand and its been fine. Only issues have been with the X limit switch sticking. I added a cover along the table front edge to help with this but still have a couple of spares just in case. I probably wouldn't call the price generous but you are getting the rapid turn. I am assuming its got a power draw bar and a tool changer if its out of a production environment. All very nice but not a necessity for a hobby job. Only other thing i did was add a bigger coolant pump and reservoir as the standard one is weak for modern adaptive cutting.I just copied the design from one off youtube.
If your just doing one's off, for your hobby you can get by with R8, you will just have to touch off at every tool change. TTS tooling can start getting a bit expensive if you go mad. I try to standardise on end mills as much as possible using the end mill holders not the ER ones. Once you have a small number of TTS holders set up it can save a bit of time on tool changes. The TTS system is prone to pulling out and there is white paper on the Tormach site explaining how best to mitigate this. I have found the easiest answer is not to think its a 20,000 RPM 30HP machine and set the cut depths and feeds a bit more realistic for the 3.5hp one.
www.northernsteam.com
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

wewilliams wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:10 am So for $8200 + 30% tariff - you can get a cat30 + atc + servo machine shipped from China

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001208 ... 5392%23351
A lot of risk associated with that:

Who is responsible for shipping issues or damage?
What happens if your machine never shows up?
What happens if the quality is terrible?
What happens if you cant get it running and you need technical help?

I would much rather purchase a used industrial machine here in the U.S. that is made by a known manufacturer and there is likely someone on practical Machinist forum who can help solve issues since plenty of other people will own the machine - even some older obscure stuff.

At $8200 + 30% tariff ($10k total) you could find a good deal on a very nice used Haas Mini Mill, I see them fairly regularly for $12-14k.

Just my 2cents.
-Frank K.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

advice on this is worth more than 2 cents...

of course...many Haas components come from CN....but still....good company to work with.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
wewilliams

Post by wewilliams »

AliExpress - either you get it or you get a full refund
There is insurance
Used machines can have issues - choose your poison