Will it manage?

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

magman

Will it manage?

Post by magman »

Hello all

I am intrested on buying a Cinese 3040 cnc for cutting 10mm aluminium hub ring for rims. Will it work?
NP317

Re: Will it manage?

Post by NP317 »

Not sure I understand.
"Chinese"?
CNC lathe or mill?
Wheel hubs, or rims?
10mm thick or diameter?
????
So many questions...
RussN
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I believe he is asking about one of those CNC routers, such as https://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/CN/cnc-3040.html

And further guess it's something along the lines of a 10mm thick wheel spacer.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Machining aluminum of that thickness can sometimes be quite an experience without flood coolant.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I bet everyone is looking up the CNC-3040 now.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ctwo wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:29 pm I bet everyone is looking up the CNC-3040 now.
Not quite everyone. I've learned that when people ask questions that raise more questions because they haven't invested enough time for their inquiry to make sense, I simply ignore them. That's unfortunate, as I'm more than happy (I'm actually eager) to help, assuming I'm able.

Brings to mind a person calling for an ambulance, but not disclosing the location for which it is required.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

ctwo wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:29 pm I bet everyone is looking up the CNC-3040 now.
Not me. The OP evidently wasn't sufficiently motivated to do some research before posting his query.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
wewilliams

Post by wewilliams »

I also noted Posts: 1 - Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:40 pm- after AliExpress was mention.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

It could be innocence. But now I kinda feel like an accomplice...

But I wanna talk about Glenn's post. Why not just whittle away in small bits?
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ctwo wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:15 pm But I wanna talk about Glenn's post. Why not just whittle away in small bits?
Depends on one's circumstances. If the project is for pay, you wouldn't be competitive, and scratching away at a part when a single pass would work gets old real fast.

Making only one off? Doing it for pleasure, not for gain? No big deal.

I shudder to think of making hundreds of parts by the scratch method. YMMV. :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

ctwo wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:15 pmBut I wanna talk about Glenn's post. Why not just whittle away in small bits?
The machine in question looks to be a CNC router table, and it would appear that the person asking the question has little to no experience with machining or they wouldn't be asking.

Chip welding while milling aluminum is real, and can be a considerable issue with smaller end mills, especially if you have never milled aluminum before. Once you have used flood coolant for milling, turning, or grinding, there is no going back to dry machining if your interest is in getting the job done efficiently...
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Heh! I can't even imagine grinding dry. I've done it, and the problems created are insurmountable. Truth is, some operations are simply not possible without flood coolant. A centerless grinder comes to mind---as does cylindrical grinding of 300 series stainless. It can be hard to grind *with* coolant.

H