Stepper setup?

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Rod MI

Stepper setup?

Post by Rod MI »

Hi I have just got my Mini CNC machine working now I need to setup the steppers sow the machine will cut to the dimension that the program calls for. How do I set this up without guessing? I'm using Mach1 CNC and bipolar steppers what other information do I need to now to make this work thanks
JimGlass

Re: Stepper setup?

Post by JimGlass »

Hi Rod;

Someplace in your software will be a place to set up the steppers max speeds, ramps speeds and so on. Look for a line than says "inches per step". May sound crude but I used a dial indicator and gage blocks to set inches per step via trial and error. Change the numbers and do a test run to see if the machine moves the exact distance. Change the number in small amounts untill it moves the distances desired.
Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
Rod MI

Post by Rod MI »

Thanks I will give that a try
davestea

Post by davestea »

Rod -

Jim said to use the inches per step parameter in your setup -

It may also be stated as steps per revolution.

If you know the steps per inch - then inches per step is 1/n where n is the steps per inch. Conversely if you know the inches per step, then 1/m gives you steps per inch - where m is the inches per step.

Example -
200 steps per in - 1/200 = .005 inches per step

.005 in/s - 1/.005 = 200 s/in

have fun with it.
Dave
Smithy 3in1, Select Mill, Atlas 6" lathe
Rod MI

Post by Rod MI »

Thanks for the help. My machine now jogs to the proper dimension but when I run a program the machine only moves about 25 percent of what it should sow I will have to find the settings for that. Dues anyone now what setting I would need to change thanks Rod MI
Rod MI

Post by Rod MI »

I think I have it working now thanks
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Rod, what/where did you find your problem?
I think I have it working now thanks
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
Rod MI

Post by Rod MI »

I reset the encoders back to where they where originally if that fixed it I don't now! But I found out there whose sum wood or plastic from the factory that whose stalling the X stepper out. I would think that whose the problem Rod
tommy2

Post by tommy2 »

Try gecko drives.