My first Dolphin Part !

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

AndrewMawson

My first Dolphin Part !

Post by AndrewMawson »

Finally managed to get my Dolphin Partmaster to TurboCNC post processor working and produced my first REAL part - the new backpanel for the CNC mill that made it !!

Generated using the 30 trial V7 Partmaster CAD package (Thanks Michael), and CAM'd using Partmaster CAM, machine driven by TurboCNC - cutting time 1 hour 44 minutes using a centre drill and a 6mm slot drill. Panel held down with double sided tape hence slow cutting time.
Andrew Mawson
Battle, East Sussex, UK
John_Stevenson

Re: My first Dolphin Part !

Post by John_Stevenson »

Nice piece of work Andrew!!
Now you are up and running it may pay you to make an engraving sub table.
Pic of one I made is above as an attachment.
It's just an alloy plate with hozizontal and vertical tracks cut to at accept pieces of square alloy.
Tapped holes all over and you insert the alloy squares where needed and also use double sided tape on the thinner parts to keep them flat. Having a couple of sheet metal clamps on the edges means you can up the speeds and feeds without throwing it all over.
It's been purposly made from alloy just in case I hit it with a tool. Not bothered about a few dings in a sub plate if it save the mill and tool. There's a tongue on the rear to line up with the tee slots so it's always square to the mill bed.

John S.
awemawson

Post by awemawson »

John,

Yes I like the concept !

BTW I'm reading this in the workshop using the mill that cut that panel to browse the web - where will it all end !

Andrew
gglines

Post by gglines »

John,

Very nice. The groove idea is a darn good one. Thanks for sharing!

George