CNC/Engraving question

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Hanz

CNC/Engraving question

Post by Hanz »

I am thinking about having my shop logo engraved into a couple aluminum plates, size about 3"x10". I might even inquire here about interested parties. Plan is to then fill the recessed areas with paint.

My question is, how do you handle the inside corners (say of a letter), to keep them square? Do you profile it first with a small (1/8) end mill, then step up to something larger, and so on?

Also, how smooth do radius's or circles come out? I realize that this will vary by machine and software. Just trying to get some ideas. Hanz
[url=http://www.hanzenginehouse.com]www.hanzenginehouse.com[/url]
davestea

Re: CNC/Engraving question

Post by davestea »

Dave
Smithy 3in1, Select Mill, Atlas 6" lathe
John_Stevenson

Re: CNC/Engraving question

Post by John_Stevenson »

Hanz,
To get square corners on the letters you need an engraving program that can raise a Vee shaped engraving tool up so only the tip is cutting at the corner. The bootom of the corner in depth will equal the radius of the cutter but the very top will appear square.

In the sizes you mention though using a samll cutter say 1/6" for the final go round will produce results where the overall impression will not notice the slight radii in the corners.

Another way is to use a Vee shaped cutter and just do the inside and out side of the letters.
There are many ways to roduce your sign, it's just down to programs and preferances.
Another way id to reverse engrave in perspex, fill the letters and then put a different sheet of coloured perspex behind. This gives a smooth colour but you can't ocket with this setup as you see the swirl lines at the bottom of the cut highlighted in the paint.

John S.