possible cnc with router head

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

kryptoknight

Re: possible cnc with router head

Post by kryptoknight »

i've seen the table move.

i want to xyz the mill end, keep part fixed.
Davey

Re: possible cnc with router head

Post by Davey »

I agree with the rigidity issue of a fixed head. For some reason I associate CNC routing with thinner softer materials.
The reason I would personaly go with a traveling gantry for a router is that you keep your working space confinened to the size of the machine.And you can make the head mount in such a way that you could interchange different tools,such as small drill press,plasma cutter,ect.It is also very easy to attach additional mounts for other router heads for multiple part cutting.
If rigidity is the most important factor,I would personally go with a mill.
of coarse the size of the work you will be doing will dictate the proper type of machine.
I have been doing work with a router made by CNT Motion Systems.It is only capable of cutting 1/2" aluminum at best.I have done some engraving on 316 SS that came out beautifully.It is a PC control that has had some problems that could not be explained! Like Doug C said this machine will sometimes go off on some strange path for no apparent reason.Then run fine for days! I Really wish it had a FANUC control !!
This machine is not used for precise work.It cannot hold tolorences within less than .005 .
I am courious to hear your plans on making you're router.
Please keep me informed of you're progress!

Davey.