Prototyping

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

kusuma

Prototyping

Post by kusuma »

Hi Friends,

I am planning to do 3D CNC prototyping services using a small CNC milling with 4Axis attachment. Can any one suggest which is the cheap and good machine for cutting plastic, Al foam etc. I dont mind to buy DIY kits. Please help.

Kusuma
subhash@starhub.net.sg
Mid Day Machining

Re: Prototyping

Post by Mid Day Machining »

I would look at the Tormach. If you go with a DIY machine, you'll get exactly what you pay for.
You can buy good parts, or you can buy cheap parts, but you can't buy good cheap parts.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

The first thing you must consider is work envelope.

Shields' first law of CNC machine purchase is

"10 minutes after you purchase a machine that is more than large enough for the BIGGEST job you have ever done...a job TOO BIG for the machine comes in the front door."

Sometimes getting an older (larger) machine and fixing it makes more sense in the long run - but that is a decision only you can make, based on a lot of factors unknown to everyone else.

Just 'plan wisely', because sticking a 4th axis on the table of an already small machine can cause 'size problems'.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Mid Day Machining

Post by Mid Day Machining »

Do you want a good machine or do you want a cheap machine? There is no such thing as a GOOD CHEAP MACHINE.
You can buy good parts, or you can buy cheap parts, but you can't buy good cheap parts.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Chuckle!

kusuma, who asked the question, did so on March 21, 2005, and has not returned to the board since.

I wonder if he ever found the machine he wanted?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
lobocnc

Post by lobocnc »

You could check out http://lobocnc.com. This is a lightweight hobby CNC machine I designed. It's an open-source, DIY project, with complete published parts lists and drawings. I'm selling some of the trickier parts (electronics, sheet metal structural parts) to simplify things, or you can make your own.
-Jeff
oldvan

Post by oldvan »

With a time machine, no need for a CNC machine. :D