Has anyone ever heard or use Unimat 1 Classic?

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

pwanghk

Has anyone ever heard or use Unimat 1 Classic?

Post by pwanghk »

Hi all,

I am a beginner and want to make two simple pieces like this one in Aluminum (either 9.8 or 12.5 Dia.) http://www.sphosting.com/pwanghk/ProE/rglightatach.jpg Since I have no clue how to make this thing with a lathe, milling machine and for many reason, space for one (living in an appartment), money saving (don't use much to justify a heavy investment), I don't want to spent more than $300 for the equipment. I find this little toy Unimat 1 Classic at www.thecooltool.com and wonder if anyone has either heard or use it in the past. If so, what do you think of it. Will it be able to cut Aluminum rod 12.5 Dia. max.? Any kind of feedback is greatly appreciated.

Please use cut and paste the picture link instead of clicking directly on it.

Advance thanks for your time and help.
davestea

Re: Has anyone ever heard or use Unimat 1 Classic?

Post by davestea »

I think you are going to have trouble using this WOOD machine to make your part out of aluminum.

Suggest you look into a used Sherline lathe - your budget does not give you much room to play with. Have you looked in to having them made by a machinist?
Dave
Smithy 3in1, Select Mill, Atlas 6" lathe
GeorgeGaskill

You will be way ahead financially to pay someone..

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

to make these. If the diameter were 12.7mm (.500") you could do all the work on a mill only but if the 12.5/9.8 diameter is required, you will need a lathe unless you try turning it in the mill (possible but not the usual way of doing things.) Even having it made here and sent to you would be way cheaper than $300US.

Also your drawing needs to size and locate the holes.
jutz

Post by jutz »

I have one and it is a pretty neat toy. It could definitely make your part if you have the patience.

If you are good at dealing with frustration, the Unimat 1 is a good tool to learn on because it is not very rigid and not very powerful. Once you learn to make good parts with it, you will be able to make excellent parts with just about anything else. You will, however, spend a LOT of time learning to make good parts with the Unimat 1 and spend much of that time being frustrated. Buy lots of raw material and practice. Don't even think about using it on any metals other than aluminum or brass. It works quite well on Nylon, Delrin, Teflon and PVC.

If you decide to buy one:
Make a good base (particle board will do just fine) to clamp the thing down.
Get and use the stabilizing plates.
Get the 200mm longitudinal slide; the standard slide is way too short to be useful (although long enough for the piece you're currently trying to make).
Get the set of brass collets; the plastic ones included with the system are worthless.
Be careful tightening things; over tightening will not improve grip because nothing in the system is rigid enough to apply much force.
Get a good square to align everything when setting up the tool or you will never get any accuracy.
I didn't see it in the accessories but they have a kit of maintenance/repair parts you will almost certainly need. If your tool digs in (easy to have happen if the part slips out of the chuck or vice) the belt can easily shear some teeth off the motor pulley and you will be out of action until you get a new one (included in the repair kit).
dvideoHD

Post by dvideoHD »

I have one.... two actually. As the man said, you need a few things to make it useful. For my son, 8, it's cool.. he can learn some basics and make things - and learn about shop saftey without a big down side....

But.... you might consider going to Ebay and searching on Taig, Sherline, Clisby as well as Unimat. I think you would get a lot more out of a good used taig. It will do what you ask and then you can do a lot more.... I have lots of fun with mine... the motor is a clunker - extreme clunker - but that's fun too. Here is a URL for one now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?vi ... egory=1272

A good used machine means you have enough money left over for some tools, buis, mills, and the like. It is also a good idea to browse... This is a good site to start, if the idea appeals.... http://www.casco.net/~felice/taig.html

-- jerry