CNC Mini Lathe

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

hedjhawg

CNC Mini Lathe

Post by hedjhawg »

I've asked a few questions on this forum and others regarding CNCing my new lathe (a 13 x 40 Enco engine lathe). On second thought, I think I should walk before I run.

In order to stick a toe in the water and experiment with CNC, I plan on buying one of the 7"mini lathes sold by any number of importers. My thinking is that the lathe is cheap, the tooling is too, so I am guessing that the CNC hardware/software I will need is, likewise, affordable.

So... who has some thoughts on where I should start; Hardware? Software? Website resources?

I'm a newbie; help is appreciated.
Rick

Post by Rick »

hedjhawg

The price of the lathe really has no impact on the cost of adding CNC based on the types you are describing. The cost difference between a small lathe and a larger in cost would be the size of the motors and drives for the motors and that cost difference would not be significant. The software would be the same for either size lathe.

As far as software / hardware goes there are guys here that have used Mach 3 and other software. I will let them toot the benefits of those packages as i am not familiar with them. I use Flashcut, it is more expensive but it is full featured and works well with the type of parts I make (3D surfacing with g-code file sizes of 5-10 meg ). I use it for a mill but it will also run lathes, plasma......etc.

Rick
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

I have built three, 3-axis, CNC milling machines from scratch and did a retrofit on a CNC Bridgeport.

Do a search on these topics and several old threads of mine will come up that have pictures and descriptions.

I have used both Mach3 and TurboCNC to run my CNC machines and both have certain advantages.

To build a CNC controller all you need is
1) A DC power supply that you build your self
2) A Breakout board , where your computer connects to the CNC controller.
3) Driver boards, one for each axis. They can be Gecko, Anaheim Automation or whatever.
4) Motors either stepper or Servo

Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
WJH

Post by WJH »

If you do decide to make a mini CNC lathe, I suggest Taig over a Mini Lathe.
I love playing with steppers, I programmed an AVR 8 bit mcu to drive a bi-polar stepper with h bridges made from N and P channel mosfets. Yeh, I could of spent 5$ on a dedicated IC to do it...
Anyhow, that's more electronics than machining...