Double sided tape to secure parts for machining?

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Mr Ron

Re: Double sided tape to secure parts for machining?

Post by Mr Ron »

Glenn Wegman wrote:Super Glue has been working fine for me on small thin parts like these .025" thick alum shims.

I just put some 4" x .5" thick 6061 scrap in the vise, skim it with a face mill, scuff it a bit with Scotchbrite, and glue the sheet to it.

A razor blade (I can post a pic of one, Harold) under the corner pops it right off without distorting the part at all.

How about using a piece of wood as a sacrificial support instead of milling into a nice piece of aluminum?
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

Glenn Wegman wrote:What type of two sided tape sticks well enough to enable machining, but releases without rolling up the part?
Thanks!
Glenn,

I have not yet used the double sided tape for a project, but I was given a roll of some Scotch #410M by a gentleman I knew that used this stuff extensively for CNC machining of aircraft parts for the Air Force. He really swore by it, so you can take it for what it's worth, but I did see a lot of his work, and it was pretty impressive.

Ted
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
Mid Day Machining

Post by Mid Day Machining »

You might want to try Mitee-Grip from Mitee-Bite, It's a heat activated tape the works really well.
You can buy good parts, or you can buy cheap parts, but you can't buy good cheap parts.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Glenn Wegman wrote:What type of two sided tape sticks well enough to enable machining, but releases without rolling up the part?
Glenn,
This is what I have used:
ACE 50106.jpg
Aprox. .015" to .020" thick.
Sticks very well, might have to use a heat gun to remove
the piece you machined.

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Thanks for the suggestions!

I tried the carpet tape initially as it seemed like it would do the job, and it would not hold 1/8" Phenolic sheet in place. I was trying to machine a number of nested small parts from it, and I could not complete one part before the sheet came loose.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Mr Ron wrote:How about using a piece of wood as a sacrificial support instead of milling into a nice piece of aluminum?
Wood can yield issues, although that's not to say it can't work.
It often is too soft to perform adequately, yielding to clamping pressure. It may have enough moisture content to create rusted areas where it remains in contact with the table. It may or may not be parallel and/or flat.

If none of these things are an issue, sure, it may work fine. I've used it in weird circumstances, although it's not preferred. Even better, consider using tempered Masonite.

A real good scenario is to have a sacrificial aluminum plate that can be faced occasionally, with shallow cuts taken to extend its useful life.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Mid Day Machining wrote:You might want to try Mitee-Grip from Mitee-Bite, It's a heat activated tape the works really well.
Thank You, for this tip.
CL0980-mitee-bite-mitee-grip.pdf
(65.29 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.