NEW TO ME CNC MILL TMC 1000

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Chips

Re: NEW TO ME CNC MILL TMC 1000

Post by Chips »

Q1, While I was working on the last bench top CNC, I realised things were changing quickly regarding breakout boards, computers etc.
As I am about to start the TMC1000 upgrade, is it still the best to use the Gecko 540 and a PC dedicated to the machine?
Q2. Does anybody have a "Shopping List" of parts that they have used recently or is still appropriate to upgrade the TMC1000 using as much as possible of the old control box and machine as possible?
I used the Soundlogic breakout board in the last project with Mach3.
I am more interested in plug and play options this time around as the machine running is more important than learning about the parts of the system. Is there an off the shelf solution sub $600.00?

Steve
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Chips wrote:Hi,
It's only been a year, but I managed to complete the machine in the fall.
THANKS! Marty and the other posters for your help. I would not have completed it without your help.
That's good to hear. I hope it is serving you well. Did you end up doing the retrofit and what did you end up with?
Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
Chips

Post by Chips »

I used the Soundlogic breakout board and external relay board.
I used a 10kpot for the spindle speed and turn it on and off with one of the relays. I kept the original spindle control board and wiring as much as possible.
The power for all of the drivers also goes through a relay so if the E stop or limit switch are activated, it stops.

I tried to post a picture of the inside, it does not seem to have worked.
How do I do post pictures again?
Steve
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Add it as an attachment
Chips

Post by Chips »

Completed D&M 4.
Finally figured it out, too many pixels!
How did I ever manage to get the machine to run? I cannot even upload a picture.
Steve
Attachments
1.JPG
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Congratulations. Its a bit of a task to marry existing control to the new breakout board and get it going. Nice work. Learn and enjoy it.