Valve cover Badges

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

V8 BUG

Re: Valve cover Badges

Post by V8 BUG »

Cool projects Marty. Eventually I want to build a complete machine from scratch but am always on the look out for local VMC deals. The TMC-1000 is a good little machine but it is small and limited.
Here is the work from last evening and a bit today. I had an idea to buy a keychain on our vacation last week to Florida (Spring Break for my kids). We drove my Wife's Jeep from Detroit(well across the border in Canada) to Clearwater FL. Every time i put the keys in my pocket the dealer keychain would stab my leg. I looked for some cool keychains and came up with nothing. SO I decided to build my own.
Here is the fixture i built ready for the stock .125 x 1 1/2" 6061 aluminum.
Here is the fixture loaded and the program run. I programmed both sides at once. The headlights and turn indicators are machined in the left side and the grill slots and the outside profile get machned on the right. Program takes about 10min @ 30ipm with a .125" 2 flute carbide endmill.
Here is a finished part.
So I made a few more for friends that share a love for all things JEEP.
BUILDING IT IS MORE FUN THAN BUYING IT
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

V8 BUG wrote:Cool projects Marty. Eventually I want to build a complete machine from scratch but am always on the look out for local VMC deals. The TMC-1000 is a good little machine but it is small and limited.
Here is the work from last evening and a bit today. I had an idea to buy a keychain on our vacation last week to Florida (Spring Break for my kids). We drove my Wife's Jeep from Detroit(well across the border in Canada) to Clearwater FL. Every time i put the keys in my pocket the dealer keychain would stab my leg. I looked for some cool keychains and came up with nothing. SO I decided to build my own.
Cool stuff, keep it up and keep showing it off. :)
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
V8 BUG

Post by V8 BUG »

Here are a couple things made for a friend. He has a late model Ford Sport track Adrenalin and wants to "black" it out. These emblems fit the front grill and the tailgate. This is what they look like after a 3/16 ball cutter raster program with a .007" stepover. After a bit of handwork they will be sent for anodizing at a local company. I wish for a semi/flat black finish.

That's all for now.
V8 BUG

Post by V8 BUG »

I forgot to share the Philco tag I made for a friend at work. He restores vintage radios. He wanted to carve a name plate he had made. He was going to use the old Deckle Panograph we have at the shop when I told him I could try and match the original text. He took my offer and I made this for him. It was the least I could do for the guy as he has taught me allot in the 17 years i have worked with him. I also felt I owed him one as he had offset jig ground a RC truck engine crank shaft for me.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Very nice work! Your little mill seems to be doing a fine job!
How do you replicate the fonts like FORD?
Marty
V8 BUG

Post by V8 BUG »

There is a web site that has all sorts of company logos. www.brandsoftheworld.com I will grab from there layout in Solidworks and trace over and make a 3d model. There is also another site called GrabCad. It has all sorts of cool 3d models in almost any format. I was able to grab an LS3 engine complete. With this engine model I am able to design my stuff right on it and CNC machine all sorts of things for the engine. I am working on front accessory drive brackets for the Corvette project my son and I are working on.
The TMC-1000 is an excellent mill and holds good tolerance. I just wish it was 4 times the size. That larger Ford emblem was almost the limit of the machine.

Thanks for the complements Marty.
V8 BUG

Post by V8 BUG »

Well in trying to keep my Wife happy, I fixed some of the dresser drawers the other day. These silly little things are hard to find if you only need a couple. I don't need a bulk bag of them so I just CNC'd a few. Problem solved, Wife happy.
V8 BUG

Post by V8 BUG »

Would the mods be able to move this thread to the photos album?

Thanks Kevin
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Well, I think its pertinent here since you created it on CNC
V8 BUG

Post by V8 BUG »

Ok, I just didn't want to jam up this section.

thanks

Kevin
JackF

Post by JackF »

I always love it when I can fix something around the house or on the wifes car with one of the machine tools. :mrgreen: It helps to justify the expense of the machines. :roll: :wink: :lol:

Jack.
V8 BUG

Post by V8 BUG »

You've hit the nail on the head....also a bit more forgiving when they get a chip stuck to a sock or something. Unfortunately I am working in my attached garage and it seems that chips fly everywhere.