Who Offers the "Best" Mach 3 Software for Free Download?

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

GlennW

Re: Who Offers the "Best" Mach 3 Software for Free Download?

Post by GlennW »

Marty_Escarcega wrote:DONT plug your machine into a SERIAL Port (male pins)
When I see RS232 and CNC together I think Serial.

So... RS232 is something different when dealing with Mach 3 as opposed to the rest of the CNC world where it is a standard method of Serial communication?

I have never had anything to do with Mach 3, but it seems it is it's own little Country. :)

Thanks!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Glenn Wegman wrote:
Marty_Escarcega wrote:DONT plug your machine into a SERIAL Port (male pins)
When I see RS232 and CNC together I think Serial.

So... RS232 is something different when dealing with Mach 3 as opposed to the rest of the CNC world where it is a standard method of Serial communication?

I have never had anything to do with Mach 3, but it seems it is it's own little Country. :)

Thanks!
Glenn, Mach3 communicates to the outside world via the input andoutput pins of the PC parallel port. It sends step and direction signals used by most stepper drives out this port and some servo drives. Mach also supports a secon parallel port for more I/O too.
Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Thanks for the clarification, Marty.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

OK, I've decided to dedicate my old Dell 360 that I no longer use to the machine. It was made in the "transition era" where they used to include ALL the ports (including a DB25) not knowing which the end used would need.

It has the bare minimum of 512 RAM, but does run at 2.8 gHz. So, I'll take my USB - DB25 cable back and get female DB25-DB25 before firing it up. These things can be confusing enough without additional cabling problems.

Thanks
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Can you of the pictures of the control cabinet and upload them?
Marty
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

Well I got it all hooked up and loaded the parameters but am having a problem getting the stepper motors to actually run. I can get them to whine (barely audible), but there is no rotation. The AirSoft software seems to think everything is OK and runs fine on screen, but ...

The controller is built into the unit, and I would have to disassemble a portion of the sheet metal to photo it.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

check out you db 25 cables carefully with a ohm meter you may well find several pins without connection.
this being because newer printers before going all usb had limited requirements.

this link will provide you with common pin out and standards.
http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable/RS-232.html

please note rs232 is a protocol standard for communication and can even be used on 2 twisted wires

this does not prevent a manf from changing things up a bit to encourage buying thier inhouse cables at inflated costs

good carefull tracing will sort this out

i will also add a like to many discussions on these machines that may prove helpful

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/sitemap/f-147.html
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

If you are running Mach III you will likely need to look at your motor tuning parameters and make sure they match your gearing ratios.

John B.
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

For any who may be interested. I tore the CNC section off the machine and found they use Gecko controllers. The problem was that the Gecko controllers need to see 5 volts on the common and this comes into the machine through the bottom Molex plug from a dedicated cable. But with no cable or response from the mfg and no instructions, who would know this? :roll:

Last edited by toddalin on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

So did you figure it out? You show us the power supply and the Gecko drives but not the break out board. The Geckos are connected to it.

Marty
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

Yes, and the problem wasn't the Pin assignments, it was the lack of 5 volts to the Geckos. I had the correct Pin assignments many times but no response.
Mid Day Machining

Post by Mid Day Machining »

You both amaze and disgust me. Someone has put hundreds if not thousands of hours into developing the Mach software and you want it for free.

There are plenty of machines out there that run with Mach. I have had a Tormach PCNC 1100 Series II using the Mach operating system since July 2011. and the only thing I have ever done with it is push the green button and run it. I have run it for hundreds if not thousands of hours with absolutely no hint of a problem. All I do is keep the machine well lubed and clean it out once in a while
You can buy good parts, or you can buy cheap parts, but you can't buy good cheap parts.