G01 Vs G1

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Dave_C

G01 Vs G1

Post by Dave_C »

Question,

Is there a differance between G00 and G0? Or G01 and G1?

They seem to be interchangeable.

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
GlennW

Re: G01 Vs G1

Post by GlennW »

It seems that most controllers will accept either one. Not all may though.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Mid Day Machining

Post by Mid Day Machining »

Most controls will go either way. Fanuc and FADAL will do it either eay. If you type a G0 or a G1 into a Haas control, it will add the 0 making it a G00 or a G01.

The Mach control on my Tormach will accept it either way.
You can buy good parts, or you can buy cheap parts, but you can't buy good cheap parts.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Thanks guys,

I thought that might be the case. I am playing with Mach3 software, trying to write some code and I am having a ball.

So far I can cut a square, make an arc on the end and then make a circular pocket.

For anyone who wants to learn to play with the mach 3 software, you can download it and run it for free from Tormach. You'll find it under their support tab, software, and then download the version you want. I think there are five versions to play with. some with tool changers, some with an A axis and some for updated spindles.

It even has wizzards to cut gears, slots and lots of other stuff.

Thanks again,

Dave C.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Does Mach 3 have a simulator to show the part being machined/tool paths?
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

glen,

Yes it does. You can view it from a "Follow mode" or "Job mode". Rotate it by axis if you like.

Dave C.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Simulations are fun to watch!

Thanks!
Glenn

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

back in the day when everything had to be integers, and there was no computing capability - which is the difference between NC and CNC, there were 2 digits assigned to G codes, 2 assigned to M codes, 7 to X Y Z.

EVERYTHING went in a integers to fill a field, that was used for calculations, hence the old carry over from us old farts G01 vs G1

X1234567 was read in INCHES as X123.4567

however there are still come carryovers with some controls and some addresses, most notable are the FANUC P and Q values which still (on almost all of their controls) need to be entered as integers.

There are also a couple of G codes still in use that require leading zero: G07.1 for polar motion requires the leading zero in many FANUC controls (and their clones). G7.1 sometimes works, but often does not. Recently this has been supplanted by G107 in newer controls.

The same goes for some of the G05.x variants.

P1000 in inches is read as P.1 or P100 in METRIC is P.1

Many controls that emulate FANUC formats either require or accept decimal format for P and Q

Unless you are running an old GE100 or GE550 or one of the old Cincinnati Milacron ACRAMAT or K&T - or even a TOMATO control, you don't care about leading zeros .....EXCEPT......

Tool numbers, tool offsets and tool compensation addresses, on many controls, still require leading zeros, since you can define a tool as T010203, and the control needs to know that it is T01 tool, 02 OFFSET and 03 compensation. iF you didn't have the leading zeros, you could potentially have T123 - and is that T12, offset 3?

if you stop and look very closely at it, and know a lot about computer programming structure, you see that the basic coding that we use today was really just ASSEMBLER.

after all, back in the '50s, what else did IBM and MIT have to work with?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Bill,

Very informative. I've been around back in those days but I was not working in NC or CNC, not even a machinist.

Lots of changes with the modern stuff.

That does explain why I see G0 in some code and G00 in others.

Thanks again,

Dave C.