Putting together a home DRO, where can I buy measuring rule

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Bmikkalson

Putting together a home DRO, where can I buy measuring rule

Post by Bmikkalson »

To clear things up I am putting together a home brew DRO on my Sheldon lathe. I was able to use a Harbor Frieght vernier caliper on the Y axis. I am having a hard time finding a electronic verneir style caliper that is 30" long. Am I able to buy the measuring part only and than use a el-cheapo HF display on the X axis? Or perhaps another recomendation..
www.chaski.com
Bill Shields

Re: Putting together a home DRO, where can I buy measuring

Post by Bill Shields »

do not assume that the magnetic scale from one company will work with the reader head from another.

whatever you use, purchase as a set.

there are several companies that sell what you are looking for as ready to use kits for a reasonable price.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

do a search under dro scales lathe with google. they are are qavailable out to 40,inch and longer

even better go read the yardo site and sumatech group for more on the differient com protocals of differient scales
Bmikkalson

Post by Bmikkalson »

Thanks for reading and replying. I did quite a bit of google searching be fore posting and came to find out that on a large digital scale the price goes way north fast.. The 6" Harbor frieght scale is 9 bucks... That I can handle right now. Thats how I got the idea of just adding a extra long rule to a HF. Perhaps my grand idea is not practical.. hahahah.

Any other ideas?
www.chaski.com
lametec

Post by lametec »

isaac338

Post by isaac338 »

Igaging scales are available in long lengths for not much - if you buy them from Quint Measuring and say you're on the Shumatech yahoo group you get a discount.
lobocnc

Post by lobocnc »

Say, has anyone ever tried using a toothed belt driving an encoder for a DRO? I'm thinking of something like an MXL belt with one pulley connected to an encoder and another pulley at the opposite end of the travel. Your carriage then connects to the belt in the middle. CUI now makes hi-res encoders for less than $25. The display is a little trickier. I know you can buy encoder displays (US Digital) for real money, but I'm guessing someone has hacked together a low-cost display somewhere.
Bmikkalson

Post by Bmikkalson »

Found this one on ebay, Its from the DRO store.. any thoughts or stay away?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINPO-Digital-R ... 3ccec8b1f9
www.chaski.com
Bmikkalson

Post by Bmikkalson »

shipping is $125,.. :roll:
www.chaski.com
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

the guys at DRO PROS are straight shooters.

the equipment, though made in India, is quite good.

Using a cog belt on an encoder is probably not a good idea. You will get a LOT of wobble out of that setup, unless you take great pains to ensure there is no catenary flex in the belt.

If you want to go that direction, suggest you think the SHOOTING STAR unit. I have one and it is quite nice and very reasonably priced.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Trapper

Post by Trapper »

Here in ont. we have an offshore tool supply company called Busy Bee (busybeetools.com). They sell a Digital Scale with Magnetic remote readout, There made by I Gaging and come in 4 sizes 0-6 inch up to 0-35 inches in lenght. Prices are cheap. I have mounted 2 of these on my Taig Mill so far they seem to work alright,( X andy axis ) At this point I think Ill be buying more, Hope this helps. Trapper