I'm Confused. Can I get a Simple Answer?

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

toddalin

I'm Confused. Can I get a Simple Answer?

Post by toddalin »

I know this will sound stupid, but...

When I use the Mach3 software on my Shopmaster CNC 3-in-1 and I want to manually "jog" the WORK using the left/right/up/down arrows...,

Should the right-hand arrow (->) make the TABLE move to the right or to the left, which then simulates the QUILL moving to the right? :?:
FLSTEAM

Re: I'm Confused. Can I get a Simple Answer?

Post by FLSTEAM »

You want the tool to move right..

If you table moves, it needs to move left
If you quill moves, it needs to move right

John B
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

some machines have a table that moves up and down instead of the quill moving....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

The way I keep this in my head is use the arrow that makes the cutter move in the direction you want in relationship to the part.

Usually this is left arrow to move the table to the right. That makes the cutter move to the left of the part.

If you are using a CNC router for example, the cutter moves but you still use left arrow to move to the left side of the part.

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

That's what I thought. :oops:

I set the table up "backwards" from convention because to a newbie it makes sense that if the arrow points right, this means that the table should move right, as would be intuitive. And that explains why I had to set the 0,0 to the upper right rather than the lower left of the work surface when running my first CNC. That's when I knew something was amiss. :?

It is very interesting in the tutorials for the software that they never seem to mention this. The guy says things like "and now my table is moving with the arrows as I toggle them" while only showing the software on the screen and never showing how the table is actually moving in the video. That's poor. :(
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Glenn Wegman wrote: a move to X positive would move the table to the left, and a move to Y positive would move the table toward you.
toddalin wrote:Table moves as you describe above when operated by the software.
So, now I'm confused, as you stated it was correct in your earlier post! :)

Just set an X,Y zero and execute a simple G code command such as G0X2Y2 and the table should move to the left and toward you.

Z- would extend the quill and Z+ should retract it.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

perhaps the +/- for table jogging / handwheel motion is reversed from the +/- for table programmed motion.

On many machine / controller combinations, these are independent functions and can be set up in either direction.

It is not a big deal to change if you cannot get it straight in your head.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

I like to think of it as working with graph paper. The quill is the pencil, + moves to the upper/right quadrant, - moves to the left/ lower.

It does not hurt to have a card with arrows posted near the control panel for when you return after other distractions.
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

Russ Hanscom wrote:I like to think of it as working with graph paper. The quill is the pencil, + moves to the upper/right quadrant, - moves to the left/ lower.
Good post Russ. Easy to remember. Seems like my little mind is always getting twisted in a knot when I'm standing at the machine programming individual moves. :?

Thanks,
Ted
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
toddalin

Post by toddalin »

I did have it backwards. When I actually started "working with the machine" any confusion vanished watching the work progress and it quickly became second nature.

It is one thing to sit at the desk and toggle the table in which case, it would make sense that a left arrow should trigger a left table movement. It is quite another to "hover" with the keyboard over the work surface and toggle the table.

But I still contend that AirSoft should make reference to this convention in their Mach3 tutorial videos. If they did, I never saw it.

Thanks.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

or maybe they assumed it was not necessary....???? :shock:
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

toddalin wrote:I know this will sound stupid, but...

When I use the Mach3 software on my Shopmaster CNC 3-in-1 and I want to manually "jog" the WORK using the left/right/up/down arrows...,

Should the right-hand arrow (->) make the TABLE move to the right or to the left, which then simulates the QUILL moving to the right? :?:
NO STUPID QUESTIONS! If you want to learn right, ask them! You are using Mach3 it sounds like. In standard configuration, Right arrow moves X in the right direction. Left Arrow moves the X axis in the left direction. Up arrow moves the table toward the column, down arrow moves it away from the column, Page up moves the Z axis UP, Page down moves the Z axis down. IF memory serves you can reassign these in Mach. (All assuming a mill)

Ask the questions and we will all learn from those in the know!
Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"