question about upload to fanuc 18T

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Richard_W

question about upload to fanuc 18T

Post by Richard_W »

At work I am wanting to upload programs to a Takasawa TC3 with a Fanuc 18T control. Since I don't belong to any CNC forums, I thought I would ask here. The laptop in question doesn't have a printer port, just USB, HDMI and VGA video ports. I was in Fry's electronics and they have this USB to serial adapter made by gearhead model CA2050. I would like to know if this will work?

https://pcgearhead.com/iFrame/usb-hubs.php?PrdID=1219

Look at the last picture to show everything in the package.

The confuser we use for the CNC lathe runs window 95, so no current software will work on it.

Richard W.
GlennW

Re: question about upload to fanuc 18T

Post by GlennW »

Says: Windows XP, Vista, and 7 for operating system requirements.

As far as USB-Serial adapters go, I have seen where some work for CNC and some don't even when they are compatible with the operating system.

Belken and a few others make one for use with Windows 95.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

The laptop at work that is windows 95 is hooked to the control. So it can send and receive now. The thing is I want to program and down load from a windows 7 laptop. The control doesn't have tool nose radius comp turned on. So right now we are using a calculator at the control to write programs. The win95 laptop has no cad/cam software for it and can only send and receive to store already written programs. That is why I am asking about the cable?

Richard W.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I think I get it now...maybe...

You are currently using a W 95 laptop for file transfer, but have no CAD/CAM software for it.

You want to use a W 7 laptop to replace it that has CAD/CAM software.

The converter you link to may work, but I have seen references stating that not all converters will work properly. (Dunno why)

I use one of these and I plugged it in, loaded the driver, and was up and running/drip feeding without a glitch. It was recommended by others that had tried other converters with no luck, until they tried one of these. The problems with other converters not working may have been due to configuration errors, but I do know that this one works well, and I have recommended it to others with success.
http://www.goldxproducts.com/product/sh ... =GXMU-1200

Here's one on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLDX-GXMU-1200 ... 27d013bf23
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Glynn Thanks for the advise. The control has the 25 pin serial port and the cable you link to has the 9 pin serial end on it. I bought the one I linked to because of the 9 pin serial to 25 pin serial adapter. I will try it and see if it works and if it doesn't then I will buy the cable you suggested and use the adapter from the first one. I will let you know how it goes, but that won't be for a few days because the cam software won't be here for a few days.

Thanks again!

Richard W.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Yup, I forgot to mention the DB9 to DB 25 adapter I use with it.

Sorry about that!

I use a 25' 9 pin straight cable with the GoldX at the computer and the 9-25 adapter at the machine controller. That way I get to sit at my desk :) and draw/program, then send the file.
Glenn

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

There is slightly more to it than just cables.

Either you need software, hardware or no protocols to control the data flow.

If you want hardware protocols, then the cable needs to be more than just 2-3 / 3-2. You need to lash in DCE / DTE, which is a headache in the cable world.

The EASIEST way to do this is to set control and computer up to no-protocols, and a baud rate of 1200 (yes 1200).

At that rate, the control can handle all incoming data without telling the computer to 'stop' (protocols).

You just pry the control's mouth open and pour the data in - slowly.

Start with a % and end with a % in the file.

if you want more details, e-mail me directly bshields at mehrs dot com
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

One step at a time...

There is no way to tell what the pinout of the 9-25 pin adapter is until he receives it.

I used a 9 pin straight (parallel) cable to cut down on the confusion a bit and used the 9-25 pin adapter to configure the proper pinout for my application.

One advantage is that he has already established communication with the setup he is using.

I had never done this before, so had no reference to what would work. I had a great time, as I started with a computer that had a Serial port and spent a couple of weeks trying to establish communication with the machine. Even took the computer in to a repair shop to verify that the port was working properly. They said it was, but is wasn't, as I brought in my other computer from home and it established communication on the first rty through it's Serial port. I went to the USB adapter on the first computer and established communication immediately.
Glenn

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

There is no need to spend 2 weeks, and understanding protocols is one of, if not the FIRST STEP to understanding communications.

A straight through 9-25 pin cable is 2-2 / 3-3 (because 2/3 are reversed on 9-25 sockets).

Getting a 9-25 pin cable with DCE / DTE lashed up is pretty rare, and even if it is, setting baud to 1200 totally elminates the need for any protocols, so why not? :lol:
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

It had nothing to do with understanding protocols. The problem was that the Serial port on the computer was not functioning properly...

That's why when I tried a computer with a properly functioning port, it worked.
Glenn

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

You always have to be very careful about 'floating grounds' between computer and controls.

Any difference in ground voltage can blow up a serial port.

I always recommend, expecially if using a LAPTOP, to always run the laptop from batteries and NOT the 110 vac connection.

If you are using a desktop on wall power, recommend checking actual voltage difference between ground pin of control and pin of computer. Believe it or not, often there is a bit of difference.

Optical isolators are also a very good idea when working with these things for the first time.

Another good tool is a breakout box with led indicators on it which shows signal activity.

Lord knows where you will find one today - mine is almost 30 years old...and I got it at Radio Shack.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I believe Radio Shack still sells the Break Out Boxes.

The Serial port on my computer had never had anything plugged into it prior.

Here's the deal...

When connected to the machine control, if you tried to send a file to the control, you clicked the "send" button, and after a short pause, the "Windows is new shutting down" screen would appear, and all of the open programs would neatly and orderly close and the computer would shut down!

The Serial port was also shown as Com 3 on that computer, which from what I understand, is a bit odd.

I connected two other computers to the control via the same cable/9-25 adapter and DNC software and they both worked first time every time.

Having never dealt with Serial communications before, the problem was a bit confusing and kinda strange!

Every serial communication "expert" I spoke with said: It's doing WHAT, and why is it Com 3? :roll:
Glenn