What 3D CAD program do you use?

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

What 3D CAD program would you recommend?

Alibre
19%
AutoCAD
14%
Rhino
3%
Solidworks
38%
Other
16%
None
11%

Total votes: 37

bigseb

Re: What 3D CAD program do you use?

Post by bigseb »

No it doesn't. Obviously you can import previously created models into the same work area and label them as separate objects but constraining them and reproducing motion as in a SW/Alibre assembly is not possible.
Wanna-Be

Post by Wanna-Be »

I want to thank those who have made recommentations here in this post. I posted my Quest for such a program in the general discussion forum but was directed here and will follow some of these links and leads and see what I can find.

I think my criteria is much like most hobby/home machinist; Simple, easy to learn (too old to learn more complex), easy to remember (same reason) and free or affordable without annual fees or upgrade requirements.

(My RANTE for the day! I drive my cars til the wheels fall off, never lease or rent! I own it I'm happy. Why can't I get software that works fine when I purchase it, for at least a few years?? So what if they improve it, I'm happy with what it does already. Yah! I know, annual License Fee? The same reason I don't rent/lease a car! Sorrry for the RANTE! )

I'll be back when I find something that helps me get the ideas out of my head, on to a drawing for evaluation and into metal.

Thanks,
Steve
Jet vert Mill, Champion 12X30 lathe, Amer. Mach. Tool radial drill, 24X60 LeBlond lathe, Scharmann 3" Hrz Brg Mill, Steptoe 18" Shaper, S/B Shaper,B&S (No.4 36") Gear Cutting Mach., Verson 22.5T Press Brake, Enco 12" hrz. saw, McEnglevan foundry furnace, Rockwell 14X42 lathe, K&T 2H univ horz. mill,DoAll 16-2 Vrt. bandsaw,Canedy-Otto drill press,Buffalo Iron Worker
V8 BUG

Post by V8 BUG »

I don't know much about this but it has some design software for sale. There was one company i talked to similar (if not this one) about how they can sell software so cheap and they said its from companies going under and things like that. Use the search function at the top of the page for what you are looking for. I think Solidworks was 50 bucks or so.
I am in no way affiliated with this company nor have i purchased anything from them but i do find it interesting.

http://www.cdrbsoftware.com/
BUILDING IT IS MORE FUN THAN BUYING IT
Adirondack

Post by Adirondack »

V8 BUG wrote:I don't know much about this but it has some design software for sale. There was one company i talked to similar (if not this one) about how they can sell software so cheap and they said its from companies going under and things like that. Use the search function at the top of the page for what you are looking for. I think Solidworks was 50 bucks or so.
I am in no way affiliated with this company nor have i purchased anything from them but i do find it interesting.

http://www.cdrbsoftware.com/
bootleg software. AVOID.
Adirondack Car & Foundry
Check out our projects: https://www.facebook.com/ADKrail/
Visit our ALL-NEW online store: https://adirondackcarfoundry.square.site/

A little locomotive with 4 wheels on the track is a lot more fun
than a 1/2 finished one with 16 wheels on the bench!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

The difference between a SOLID MODELER and a SURFACE MODELLER?

Let's start with a couple of simple examples.

Say you are creating a forming die for an automotive fender. You are concerned with the shape of the surface of the die, and in general, really don't care too much about the block of steel that it is attached to, other than that is be a certain size and have some holes drilled in it. For this job, you would want to use a package that is a good surface modeler. You want a nice, smooth, well blended, joined ACCURATE surface that exactly represents what is desired. All you care about is the surface (skin) where the metal meets the air.

Now, let's build a steam locomotive model, built up of 10000's of parts, all based on solid primitives: cylinders, cones, rectangular blocks, extrusions, lofted surfaces, solids of revolution, holes, bearings, hardware, pipe, etc: -> and the idea is to put the entire thing together without interference and have it roll across the floor. For this you want a SOLID MODELLER. Dassault, author of SolidWorks builds airplanes for a living...

Then there are the in-between projects, something like a the rib of an airplane wing, that has a combination of large metal chunks with complex cut-outs, webbing, tapered ribs and complex surfaces around the outside defining the surface of the wing. For this project, you want something that an do BOTH - accurate solid modeling AND good surface.

Creating a single surface is not all that big a trick - the concept has been around for years (decades).

Creating a series of surfaces that blend into / are trimmed by each other, join correctly and smoothly without gaps or overlaps, which provide an accurate model for the tool to follow - > it's another ball of wax altogether.

Running a tool accurately across a surface requires that the software be able to work with (read / modify) the laterals and lontigudinal coordinates defining the surface, modify the, read / modify the point distribution along each and be able to interpret and manipulate the normals to the surface to allow a tool access to cut.

Often the characteristic of the surface must be modified so that it CAN be cut.

Many SOLID MODELLERS do not have this ability. Many CAM programs do not have this abiity and require the assistance of an external program to alter the model so that I can be cut.

one of the most difficult tricks of any program (call it CAM or modeling), is the ability to take complex model and 'heal' the surface(s) so that they are 'clean' and actually in a condition to be machined.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
GeorgeT

Post by GeorgeT »

I have used Alibre CAD software for over a year now and like it. I used 2D AutoCad for a couple of years before switching to Alibre. Yes the tutorials need work, I purchased the additional videos to speed things along. The only way you can learn new software is to pick a project and start going. It was slow going at frist but with time I got to the point where the light goes on and everything fits together. I still have more to learn but I'm able to model my complete loco now and make changes to parts and see the results.

Pick a CAD package and start working with it.
GeorgeT
Patio

Post by Patio »

Has anyone here had experience with FREE CAD?
http://www.freecadweb.org/
It is Open Source software, and seems that they are, still developing it.

Bill Sheilds;
It is called a "parametric modeler"!? Would it be considered a solid or surface, software or neither?

I have just stated to play with it, my twin brother, is also using it for his CNC router, that he built.
The verdict is not in yet, but then I am no expert in any CAD/CAM software.

Pat
Mid Day Machining

Post by Mid Day Machining »

I am a Solidworks user for CAD and a GibbsCam user for CAM.

I started using GibbaCam in 1998 or 1999 and Solidworks in 2004 and I love the ease at which Solidworks integrates into GibbsCam.
You can buy good parts, or you can buy cheap parts, but you can't buy good cheap parts.
dorin

Post by dorin »

I have started to play with via cad...
It is pretty darn powerful for $70.00. (Amazon)

I was able to read in some really old autocad drawings without a problem.

A friend of mine has had good luck with the 3D portion...even good luck printing.

-Mike
www.chaski.com
RCW

Post by RCW »

dorin wrote:I have started to play with via cad...
It is pretty darn powerful for $70.00. (Amazon)

I was able to read in some really old autocad drawings without a problem.

A friend of mine has had good luck with the 3D portion...even good luck printing.

-Mike
I'd like to second Mike's request for comments from experienced users of Via cad.
--Bob
gwerhart0800

Post by gwerhart0800 »

I have ViaCad on my Mac since version 5 (now up to V8). It is functional, but I consider it a pain to do 3d work compared to Alibre (now GeoMagic).

If you come from an AutoCAD or a 2D drawing world, then ViaCAD is probably an okay, lower cost solution.
Alibre was so much easier to do 3D design in and has the ability to do assemblies, so it better fits my needs.

I am a solid Mac guy, but I am willing to run a virtual machine with a Windows operating system in it to get Alibre over using ViaCAD native on my Mac.

Just my humble opinion.
George Erhart
Loveland, CO
https://lovelandcreatorspace.com
RCW

Post by RCW »

Thanks, George! Do you know Rich Ulin? If you ever run into him, tell him "Hi!" for me

At this point I am looking at Medusa and Solidworks and will browse ViaCAD.

Thanks, again. :D

Bob [former editor of 7+ Railroader.
--Bob