sticking feed motor on Trak AGE2

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Andypullen

sticking feed motor on Trak AGE2

Post by Andypullen »

Hi All,

The X axis feed motor on my AGE 2 looks like it is sticking when feeding.....it's actually jerking.....you can see the handwheel jerking as it's turning. The control stops the motion and either goes into an error message or just drops back to the main menu. The table locks are loose. The handwheel turns smoothly by hand and the motor brushes have plenty of life left on them. SWI told me to replace the brushes when they get to about 3/16" long....they are at 9/16".

Has anybody else had this problem? If so, has anybody made a repair themselves? I don't have the funds to buy a replacement at the moment.

We have an SMX controlled machine at work and the Y axis had a bad bearing in it. It was similar to what I am experiencing, except there were lines on the part when milling an angle. It was under warranty and replacing that was a no-brainer.

Thank you,

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
GlennW

Re: sticking feed motor on Trak AGE2

Post by GlennW »

Not familiar with your machine, but perhaps try swapping the X and Y servo amp boards. (if it has them) See if the problem follows the board or the drive motor.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Hi Glenn,

ProtoTraks are different from the majority of other cnc machines. Swapping boards isn't possible. The control module is made to be swapped out in it's entirety. I replaced the module in the winter of 2012 when the power supply died. To replace the module is about $950 and you send the old one back.

The problem is in the feed. It's a mechanical issue. The motor is about $600. With the servo, it's about $900.

Thanks....

Andy
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Thanks for the explanation, Andy.

That is a different animal.

It sounded a bit like "axis shudder", which is caused or remedied by a trim pot adjustment on the relative servo amp on my machine.

Hope you get it fixed!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

if the motor is moving at all, I would look at the cables / connections between the encoder and the control boards.

Also, look to see if the encoder itself is LOOSE on the motor shaft.

Next, look to see if the coupling / shaft pulleys are loose - a varying load on the motor can cause these resonance problems.

If you take the motor off the machine (lay it on the table) and program motion, does the motor do the same thing?

is it possible swap motors X for Y to see if the problem follow the motor / encoder assembly?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Bill Shields wrote:if the motor is moving at all, I would look at the cables / connections between the encoder and the control boards.

Also, look to see if the encoder itself is LOOSE on the motor shaft.

Next, look to see if the coupling / shaft pulleys are loose - a varying load on the motor can cause these resonance problems.

If you take the motor off the machine (lay it on the table) and program motion, does the motor do the same thing?

is it possible swap motors X for Y to see if the problem follow the motor / encoder assembly?
I'll take a look at all of these, Bill. I've never had any of this apart. The manuals are about useless for disassembly....I don't want to break something.

Thanks...