CNC modification remote control cooling

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

laurent_parti

CNC modification remote control cooling

Post by laurent_parti »

Hi all,

As I'am milling more and more aluminium I need to have a proper cooling system on my machine. But I also need to control it by the machine itself. I did ginished the modification and share with you the result if it can help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc1_MFOVFew

Laurent
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Re: CNC modification remote control cooling

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Laurent, thanks for keeping us posted on your progress and modifications. Keep up the good work!
Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

laurent_parti wrote:As I'am milling more and more aluminium I need to have a proper cooling system on my machine.
I took note of your mention of water.
I expect that water and wood are not going to play well together. How will you address that issue?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
laurent_parti

Post by laurent_parti »

Thanks Marty for your comment.

Harold_v, great thought. Indeed, the Kool mist system can use water or what ever, but since now I only used compressed air to avoid messing the wooden table with water.
I did only once add some coolant with water but put the part inside a big cover to keep moisture away from wood !
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Laurent:

Looking good.

Next you can add different codes for

1> through tool coolant
2> high pressure coolant
3> air only coolant
4> different nozzles to put mist / air where you want it -> different sides of the tool depending on where you are cutting.

At one time, Mazak even had programmable DIRECTION coolant nozzles so that they could handle different length tools and always put the coolant exactly where needed.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Bruce_Mowbray

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

Vortex tube air cooling would be the way to go if you don't want the water/oil mist. Air temperatures of less than 32 deg F are not impossible.

Haas also has a "P Coolant" option. You could tell the coolant nozzle where to point using the H code. It basically pointed the nozzle higher or lower depending on the length of the tool. The position would be set for each tool length offset and as a specific tool was called to the spindle, the machine would adjust the nozzle.
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works