Anyone built the Shapeoko CNC Mill?

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

paulkruger

Post by paulkruger »

I am thinking about buying one and would appreciate any feedback on this from anyone who has experience with it.

Thanks for your help.
Hobby oriented since birth! I joined to be able to pick other people's minds. I don't know everything !
http://www.paulckruger.com
oldvan

Re: Anyone built the Shapeoko CNC Mill?

Post by oldvan »

I found a good review of the Shapeoko FROM MAKE MAGAZINE. If you want to cut wood, plastic, wax, or aluminum then this looks like a wonderful way to get started. If you plan to cut steel with it, change your plan.

I built a CNC router out of odds & ends & eBay finds, it flimsy and weak, but is fun to use. My favorite use for it is making one-off prototype circuit boards.
paulkruger

Re: Anyone built the Shapeoko CNC Mill?

Post by paulkruger »

oldvan wrote:I found a good review of the Shapeoko FROM MAKE MAGAZINE. If you want to cut wood, plastic, wax, or aluminum then this looks like a wonderful way to get started. If you plan to cut steel with it, change your plan.

I built a CNC router out of odds & ends & eBay finds, it flimsy and weak, but is fun to use. My favorite use for it is making one-off prototype circuit boards.
Aluminum is the most I would likely cut. A lot depends on the spindle motor too. As it comes with just moto tool many replace it with routers or 300W spindle motors.

I have already salvaged parts for a "pocket mill" and have a 2W laser. I was planning on making a small CNC engraver. Uses sleds from DVD drives. I think I already have 95% of all the parts in need including a couple Arduino boards.

All I need are two things. An elf to clean my shop while I sleep, and spare time.
Hobby oriented since birth! I joined to be able to pick other people's minds. I don't know everything !
http://www.paulckruger.com