Grizzly GO 516 info , opinions

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

jbohio

Grizzly GO 516 info , opinions

Post by jbohio »

Hello, would like info/opinions on this combo. can the carriage be used as power feed when milling ? if so what is max travel ? .. yes I am aware that it would be better to have seperate machines , [ cost factor ]

Thanks in advance JB
jbohio

Post by jbohio »

????? know where a used one might be ?
SlickTX

Post by SlickTX »

I just ordered one. No opinions . . . yet.
blekenbleu

Re: Grizzly GO 516 info , opinions

Post by blekenbleu »

jbohio wrote:Hello, would like info/opinions on this combo. can the carriage be used as power feed when milling ?
I guess you know that this is basically an Seig C6 9.75x21 lathe with X2 mill head added.
http://www.mini-lathe.com/C6_lathe/C6/c6.htm

Since they have separate motors,
there is little to preclude running the lathe carriage with the mill head.
After removing the lathe chck and tailstock,
the leadscrew can likely move the carriage most of 21 inches.
vascon2196

3-in-1 opinion

Post by vascon2196 »

I purchased a Grizzly G0516 3-in-1 machine about a year ago. I got into making small stationary steam engines as a hobby and for the price and what it had to offer made it an easy decision to make.

HOWEVER....if I had the cash (and patience) I would have bought a separate lathe and mill. It gets really old really fast when you start a project using your lathe and have to mill a keyway or something and then have to (take the tool post off, clean the cross-slide, attach milling tabel, attach and square up milling vise) and then mill a keyway. Then if you want to part the finished piece off you have to take all of the milling components off and set up again for your lathe. PITA.

I already had the lathe tool post tapped holes strip out on me in a little over a year from the constant back and forth between the lathe and mill.

Also, the milling attachment that comes with the lathe is great for aluminum and brass but steel....it just doesn't have what it takes. If I do have to mill steel I have to take very light cuts (.005 to .010"). Drilling isn't really an issue.

The lathe works great I must say. Changing speeds is a pain because you have to change belts around manually.

To give you a true honest answer (in my opinion) becasue I am a 3-in-1 owner, I would suggest you purchase a lathe and a mill separately. Grizzly is nice because of the price and the tooling is relatively inexpensive as well but if you want to spend the money and get some really nice machines do yourself a favor and get a Smithy.

I am use to my 3-in-1 now but if I could go back, I would have gotten a separate lathe and mill probably from Smithy.

That's my opinion.

Chris