Bar Stool Racer

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

coal miner

Bar Stool Racer

Post by coal miner »

You guys might ask , what does this have to do w/ machining ? Well I have never had the machinery , lathe and milling machine , when I did a project like this in the past . I made more brackets , spacers , adapters , bushings , and etc. than I would have imagined . It sure was nice to have the tools do do this . The engine is 6.5 hp electric start Honda clone , built loosely from a set of plans off the net . The thing runs like crazy fast , will pull the front wheels and do 40 mph . Wheelie bars were thought about but why tempt fate . NOT W/ this ole man on it , got to the age that it hurts to much to crash and burn .

the 1st pic is the initial assem. of the bsr

primed / self etching primer and test fit some diamond plate

SIL shot 3 coats color and then clear coat

got it back together !!

some more shots

A Fun toy to make from scratch .It matches my show truck .

Hope you enjoy the pics .
Gerald C

Post by Gerald C »

Coalminer, have you seen the one with a chevy small block in it? saw it on tv (gearz ) speed vision.
Gerald C
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Gerald C , that would be to much ! In researching on the web , saw pics / all different kinds combos of engines . I can't imagine getting that kind of V-8 power to the ground . This bsr was made to go to car shows and ride around in style to look at the different rides .Gonna be fun this summer .
Gerald C

Post by Gerald C »

Coalminer, I'm with you on this one. your's is a lot more useable, a lot more quiet, and don't use the rubber up so fast. Just got one of those mini trucks not much bigger than my atv. It's a lot more fun to use around on the back roads, it has 4 hi and 4 low diff lock and wheel lock, comes with a radio, wipers, heater, cost a lot less than a side by side wheeler.
Gerald C
Metalman

Post by Metalman »

Nice work Coal Miner. I like the paint on your truck also.
Question on the bar stool, are you free wheeling one of the rear wheels or are they both locked to the axle?
Ernie F.
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Ernie : It's a solid axel,both wheels pull , you have to lean kinda ba$$ackwards to get it to turn short , kinda like a 3-wheeler. Thought about a diff , but this was a quicker build , maybe next time ! It does'nt push to bad , so can live with it . Lots of fun to drive . It sure is low, tho , so have to watch the terrain so it does'nt high center . That's one of the reasons I wrapped the diamond plate on the bottom , to act a a skid plate .
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I love the thinking here. Gives me a reason to cut out some square tube., and scrap a mower for the diferential.

Is this under 30" wide to clear normal doorways?

I have several lawn specimens I can use for most all of the running gear. A shop stool would be $30 or so new. How much did you cut off the legs?

Do you have a link to a BSR site, I seem to find only crap.
Attachments
Salvage from Big store. $5
Salvage from Big store. $5
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Metalman

Post by Metalman »

Really no need for a differential. Use a bearing hub for one of the rear wheels and it eliminates the scrub in turns. We used to run them on the quarter midget race cars when my son and I raced. The axles were 1.25" and we ran them on the left rear so the right rear drove the car. We were only concerned about going fast and turning left :lol: . We also ran locked with the right amount of tire stagger in some instances. I don't think it would make any difference which side the free wheel is on in a bar racer turning left and right.
Only drawback I can think of is you end up with drive and braking on one wheel. Wouldn't want you guys pissed at me for suggesting this because you got stuck on some wet grass somewhere with one of your rear wheels doing nothing :shock: :lol: .
I don't know much about how the differentials are set up, I'm assuming they would be pirated from a riding mower? One with posi-traction would be cool.
Ernie F.
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

steaming 10 , try this link.. http://barflyracers.com/index.php , see if it works . This is the forum that I used to get a lot of ideas . IIRC the track on the rear is around 42" , but you could make it what you want . Rear axel is 1" w/ 1/4" key way to mount go-cart style hubs , sprocket , and disc brake . The front uses the same go-cart spindles etc. The clutch is a Comet Tork-a-verter , like a golf cart drive aka Reeves Drive . Works real smooth . The old style friction clutchs don't hold up.
As for a differential , looked at one in Northern Tool that several of the guys on the forum used ,don't know why a garden tractor type wouldn't work . Same thing . The frame rails are1.5"x1" and every thing else is 1" sq. , all 11 ga. Like i said before ,some of these guys are real hardcore and spend lotza $$$$ . LOL I spent a little more than was needed cause it was going to car shows w/ me . Got a bad back, why I went w/ electric start , so this should be perfect to get around on to see the other cars .
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Metalman , would have loved the 1/4 midgets . None around here at the time , so got into the off-road . Chevy powered Jeeps and then to single seat buggies .Started out as cheap fun , but you know the saying "speed costs , how fast do you want to go" . Last race that I ran at Lake Geneava ,Wi , 5 or 6 cars from out west came . Good bunch of guys . 2- 40' lowboys and a 40' machine shop on wheels .One of them had aready went thru his spare motor and had one flown in from Ca. to O'Hare . I was lucky to have motel money !
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Sorry Big Dave . Cut the stool down 6" , lowered the center of gravity for my big a$$
steamin10

barstool racer

Post by steamin10 »

Yes , link works. Better site than most of the junk I have seen. One guy has a BIG wheel deal he is doing with tractor parts. Looks ugly. I was thinking of using lanw tractor steer wheels to keep cost down, and related steering parts. I have several comets available for chain, but am told that the belt tightener, and proportional drives are better. What say you? They would be pricey for my build.

You have a very flashy unit. I'll bet it runs as good as it looks.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.