Forum software forgetful?

Get community help here, post test messages, suggestions etc. I will also document here changes that take place such as maintenance and upgrades.

Moderators: Harold_V, Marty_Escarcega

J_Tiers

Forum software forgetful?

Post by J_Tiers »

About once a week I notice that I am no longer remembered, and I have to re-login, and re-check "remember me".

Is there a sort of automatic fogetter? I never have checked the time and date when I notice it has forgotten me, but now I have a record, as I just had to do it.

It isn't exactly a big issue, just curious if there was any automatic deal going on, or if it might be at this end somehow.
Doug_C

Re: Forum software forgetful?

Post by Doug_C »

I have had the same experience. I was thinking it was due to any upgrades or resets to the software, site or server this is generated from or based on.

Otherwise I'm thinking our cookies go stale and we need to bake them new ones, so..... that requires another login the fire? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

DC
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

If you clear the cookies in your web browser, this would cause this problem. Running certain utilities like Norton System Works does this too.

About once a week I notice that I am no longer remembered, and I have to re-login, and re-check "remember me".

Is there a sort of automatic fogetter? I never have checked the time and date when I notice it has forgotten me, but now I have a record, as I just had to do it.

It isn't exactly a big issue, just curious if there was any automatic deal going on, or if it might be at this end somehow.
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
GeorgeGaskill

Also, the standard for cookie retention ...

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

in a browser is only 20 cookies, so other web activity may be posting cookies that untimately drive the Chaski cookie out of the browser's cookie storage.
J_Tiers

Post by J_Tiers »

Well, it isn't cookies in either of your senses.

1) I do not enable new cookies automatically, and I just maintain the few that go with various sites I use. There are maybe a dozen max. So I am not exceeeding a limit.
BTW, The Inet access computer at work has over 500 cookies on it that stay until cleared, so I dunno about a 20 item max....

2) I don't clear the base set of cookies, and the regular "delete files" option does NOT clear cookies, just pages etc.

3) I don't use Norton, although I do run antiviruses, etc. It is not associated with that activity

4) This site is the ONLY one with which I have a problem with logins. I am registered with several other sites, using earlier versions of this software, and have no problems of being forgotten.
I assume it is the new software version.

5) I can just re-login, and no problem occurs. I don't get the "banned" message or anything like that, I just notice I am not logged in and have to repeat the process.

I have seen a number of "I can't post" messages, and thought maybe this might be another clue for you-all.

I guess the process is "Login, Lather, Repeat"..........
Hanz

Post by Hanz »

I was wondering about the '20' thing, I have well over a thousand on this browser alone.

And agreed, this is the only board of many that logs me out.
[url=http://www.hanzenginehouse.com]www.hanzenginehouse.com[/url]
GeorgeGaskill

The 20 cookies "limit" ...

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

was just a minimum requirement (and may be obsolete by now); any particular browser could support more than 20 if the programmers decided to do so. Your browser may also limit the life of cookies; check your preferences section and see what it says about cookies.

I occasionally run into the "not logged on" situation, too, but have attributed it to the cookie quantity issue and just logged on again. Next time it happens, I will try to see if the cookie is still on the browser.

I just looked at the chaski cookies on my machine (there are about 7 of them); two have very long expiration dates (2010), three have about 10 day expirations, and the other two have end of session expirations.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

I set the cookie expiration time much higher. Theoretically, the system shouldn't forget you now for a year [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Let me know if the problem recurrs.
Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
Doug_C

Re: The 20 cookies "limit" ...

Post by Doug_C »

Hi George,

Would they not have a time date stamp to confirm this issue?

I just re-logged in. My cookie was modified 5/6/03 @10:27PM and expires on 5/5/04@10:31PM. That confirms Marty's year shelf life on this cookie. One other cookie had a date of 4/4/03 as a previous login date. Seems to me I have had to log in a couple times since then. I do use 2 PC's to browse though.

I could not find a cookie that expired at or near the same time or day that was associated with the Chaksi site. Unless it writes over the old with the new.

I am wondering if (more like when) the log out occurs again if I should check for an expired cookie prior to login.

Then again if I were to go to another PC that has not been updated with this new cookie will I still be logged in there? I'll find that out tomorrow morning at work.

DC