Not enough chucks?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: Harold_V, websterz, GlennW

Jose Rivera

Not enough chucks?

Post by Jose Rivera » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:40 pm

I read a posting commenting that there are never enough chucks.

Exactly what I feel, but, what when you have a new tool and you need a chuck or chucks for it?

I came up with a way to use my Maximat V10-P chucks with a Spin-Index I bought a few weeks ago.

Turned out to be a really fun project.
The coarse finish look is because is cast-iron.
Attachments
Maximat adapter-1.jpg
Maximat adapter-2.jpg
Maximat adapter-3.jpg
Chucks.JPG
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa

dly31

Post by dly31 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:24 pm

Looks like a good idea and workmanship, Jose. I like cast iron but I can never seem to find a suitable chunk when I need it. I actually sawed a cast iron four cylinder motorcycle crankshaft apart once to get a piece to make a small chuck backing plate. It was nice material.

Don Young

Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:52 pm

For chuck backing plates I prefer to use cast-iron.
This one was made out of a brand new exercise weight (from lifting weights) :lol:

I bought it a Big5 Sporting Goods. Cannot remember the weight, but I only paid $2.99.
The metal was very hard, but I could not get a smooth finish. It kept coming out looking like the photo, blotchy.

The shank was made out of regular mild steel, thus the six screws.

I seem to be using my rotary table more and more, perfect for this job.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa

dly31

Post by dly31 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:37 pm

I have picked up a few round weights at garage sales and thrift shops but have not tried to machine one. I suspect they are like the old window sash weights, made out of whatever is left over at the foundry and will probably vary all over the place in properties. I have found that brake drums, rotors, cylinders, and calipers are generally good iron, as well as some flywheels. You just have to find a piece that contains the shape you want!

Don Young

Charlie W.

Post by Charlie W. » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:03 am

Nice job Jose.

I made this backing plate for a 6" chuck from a weight also. The weight wasn't quite thick enough for the spindle length so I pressed a steel ring into it to extend it a bit.

Charlie

Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:30 pm

Those ribs make it look cool !!!

Nice work !
--------------

myheadhurts

Post by myheadhurts » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:32 pm

Hi Jose

I have a Maximat V13.. when I bought it it came with 160mm emco chuck but no jaws.. I'm using a d1-4 200mm chinese chuck which is not too bad...but I'd like to go back to the obviously much higher quality emco..

I've tried jaws for bisons and toolmexs but none are a match.

Do you (or one of the other meastro's) know who made them..I think Rohm made the smaller ones but the 160mm looks more bison'ish..

I will probably end up buying a pratt-burnerd aswell..but it would be a shame to have to bin or turn into a backing plate such a good quality item.

cheers Rob

Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:55 pm

Wow !

That's a tough one.
Not sure, but jaws may be made to match each chuck.
If so, then finding a set that will work may be hard.

I have this e-mail Wolf-Schwalbach@t-online.de
Is from a retired Maximat salesman that still can find parts.

The problem is that he cannot read or write English and getting answers take a long time.

This people in England may be the ones to contact for starters.
They still sell Emco products but only smaller equipment.
http://www.emcomachinetools.co.uk/

Good luck! 8)
--------------

10 Wheeler Rob

Reguarding the ribs on back pate

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:47 pm

Regarding the ribs and bolt heads on back plate for chucks. They may look cool, but watch out, they can grab things, jam fingers, fling oil and chips.

If you can recess socket head caps screw flush into a thicker back plate and keep it smooth and cylindrical with nice rounded edges. This the way its been done for a lot years and for very good reasons.

Saving one trip to emergency room will pay for the stock to make a few good back plates.

Think safety on things that spin.

Rob

Harold_V

Re: Reguarding the ribs on back pate

Post by Harold_V » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:11 pm

10 Wheeler Rob wrote:Regarding the ribs and bolt heads on back plate for chucks. They may look cool, but watch out, they can grab things, jam fingers, fling oil and chips.

If you can recess socket head caps screw flush into a thicker back plate and keep it smooth and cylindrical with nice rounded edges. This the way its been done for a lot years and for very good reasons.

Saving one trip to emergency room will pay for the stock to make a few good back plates.

Think safety on things that spin.

Rob
I endorse these comments 100% :!:

Harold