Where to buy Aluminum Bronze ingot

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

Twalsh341

Where to buy Aluminum Bronze ingot

Post by Twalsh341 »

Hey all,
I'm looking for a place to buy small quantities (10-20lbs) of copper or aluminum bronze ingots (copper so I can make aluminum bronze) Which places supply in small quantities like this? or should I just scrounge an collect scrap?

Thanks
Trevor
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Online Metals has
C630 ALUMINUM BRONZE ROD
C642 ALUMINUM BRONZE ROD

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cf ... op_cat=850

Steve
Twalsh341

Post by Twalsh341 »

OnlineMetals does have aluminum bronze, but I don't want to pay for dimensional stock when I'm going to melt it down. Extra money for no reason. Does anyone know of a place that sells ingots? or where do most of you get your cupric alloys for casting? Scrap plumbing?

Trevor
Fender

Post by Fender »

Plumbers are a good source of scrap copper when they replace frozen/corroded pipes. Everything I make is from scrap, but it's all for my own use and no cert is required. But I've never tried to make Al bronze!
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ya, I scrounge for metals, and copper plumbing and heavy wire are first rate. You have to melt the highest temperature metal first and then commit proper weights of lesser metals to get your blended alloy. Pour your piece , and pig the rest. MARK YOUR PIG with a chisel or punch with your created alloy %. For Copper based alloys you melt the copper first, and add the other components. Aluminum bronze has a high percentage of iron, that can be stirred in as small turnings. Dont use steel. The aluminum will dissolve the iron. The carbon will float out and skin.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.