Mullers...what is available for the home foundry

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

Too_Many_Tools

Mullers...what is available for the home foundry

Post by Too_Many_Tools »

I would like to see a discussion on what is available for mullers for the small home foundry.

Thanks for any info and pictures.

TMT
Too_Many_Tools

Re: Mullers...what is available for the home foundry

Post by Too_Many_Tools »

Okay...after posting the request I found this homemade one...

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/gue ... ler01.html

Has anyone had experience with it?

Are there any more homebuilt or surplus commercial units that would serve the purpose?

The muller seems to be the hardest component to find when putting together a foundry setup.

TMT
Harold_V

Re: Mullers...what is available for the home foundry

Post by Harold_V »

Too_Many_Tools wrote:I would like to see a discussion on what is available for mullers for the small home foundry.

Thanks for any info and pictures.

TMT
Because the unit is buried in storage, I can't provide a picture, but I managed to pick up a muller that had been used in the ceramics section at the U of U. It is a perfect size for the home foundry---appears to hold 100 pounds of sand. Mine will require some work, as one of the rollers has a bearing problem, but nothing that can't be handled in the shop.

The only negative is that the muller has a three phase motor. Not a problem for me, as my shop has three phase service, but it could be a problem for some.

So then, don't hesitate to check with surplus sales at universities, and keep an open mind. It appears mullers are used beyond the foundry industry.

Harold