Aluminium wheels

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

Muskymoto

Aluminium wheels

Post by Muskymoto »

Me and my dad do abit of casting and are abit short of aluminium

And have found a source of aluminium car wheels

do they contain anything else like magnesium or anythnig that will stop us using them?

Cheers
Thanks in advance

Marcus
steamin10

Re: Aluminium wheels

Post by steamin10 »

Generally speaking no, the are fairly consistant with alloy content. They are of stronger grades of aluminum without zinc additions that cause oxide and strength problems.

A simple swipe with a grinder will generate long spark streams, if it is magnesium. Magnesium cannot be hadled in a common casting furnace, as it readily ignites, and cannot be extinguished with water, it must be smothered in oxygen preventing material, like sand.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Falcon67

Post by Falcon67 »

Besides, if you run across any old school drag race/performance real live magnesium wheels (like from the 60s), they are worth huge bucks if still intact.
Chris -
http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod
"Check all parts for proper condition before operation; if normal safety precautions are noticed carefully, this machine can provide you withstanding of accurate service."
Muskymoto

Post by Muskymoto »

Ok cheers unfortunatley there not old ones there rather new ish

would you guys use them i still have to swipe one with a ginder to find out but could they contain much else?

Cheers for help

Marcus
tomc

Post by tomc »

Marcus,

Aluminum wheels make a good source of aluminum for casting. Break it up and melt away. Depending on the make, there should be very little steel to worry about. I don't think they mixed aluminum and magnesium so you should be safe. IIRC, vinagar on magnesium is the test. Can't remember the outcome anymore. Maybe Google can tell you if no one else can chime in. I now if I could get my hands on some bent wheels, i would melt them for our foundry.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

tomc wrote: I don't think they mixed aluminum and magnesium so you should be safe.
Safe is correct, but many of the aluminum alloys contain low percentages of magnesium. The highest I found (5182) was 5%, but most are below 2%.
IIRC, vinagar on magnesium is the test. Can't remember the outcome anymore.
Vinegar (acetic acid) will dissolve magnesium, but not aluminum.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

The only thing I worry about is using any pot metal, that is really not aluminum, but mostly Zinc. It is weak and creates really large crystal structure in heavy cross sections. It can be handy by itself for detail parts that dont require a lot of strength. (Also referred to as Diecast, it has been largly repaced by various forms of plastics in automotive uses)

Remember to keep any steel or iron away from your molten aluminum, no screws or bits of rivets in the melt. It will have negative effects on your casting.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.