building a metal shaper

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: building a metal shaper

Post by Harold_V »

norman wrote:getting close to being finished on the shaper a couple of photos.
It's looking amazingly good! Do keep us posted on the project. I'm curious to know how well it cuts.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
norman

Post by norman »

the shaper is almost done. I'm waiting on the 8" sheave to arrive get some belts and test it out. Motor mount was built yesterday. I welded it instead of using rivets. I have a chrome handle on the thing only chrome part on it. I can't wait to try it out under power.
Attachments
#3 shaper 006.jpg
#3 shaper 007.jpg
#3 shaper 008.jpg
#3 shaper 009.jpg
#3 shaper 010.jpg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Looks good!

One question. Doesn't look like there's a clapper on the machine. Is that true?

If so, it's highly unlikely you'll achieve success with brazed carbide (looks like that's what you have mounted). It's likely to chip on the back-stroke. Probably would even with a clapper, but sure to without.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
norman

Post by norman »

Yes there is the clapper box on it. I just have a carbide bit on there so the tool holder don't jump off and hide under the work bench where all things seem to go once off the bench.
I'll try a HSS tool the only size I have right now is 1/4" sq. I didn't know that the carbide could break.

Just 2 belts and a sheave then Ill see if it was worth it.
Thanks for asking about the clapper box Harold.
I did do a little painting on the machine (red) now I'm not sure I like paint on it. It looks more like a toy with the paint no photos of the paint.
Attachments
#2 shaper 008.jpg
#2 shaper 006.jpg
norman

Post by norman »

Here is the paint plus another toy I'm working on.
I removed the paint I just didn't like it,glad I only painted parts of it and not the whole thing.
I'm replacing seals on the chain case on the bike.Had a small leak out of the primary I don't know if its from the starter or main shaft but it is out of the primary and not the tranny or engine.
Attachments
shaper4 001.jpg
shaper4 002.jpg
shaper4 003.jpg
shaper4 004.jpg
norman

Post by norman »

I got the shaper up and running today. It's working good I planned off the table then played with it for around 8 hours just getting the feel of the thing. I had a very good time with it. I'll put a photo up soon of the
shaper and motor all mounted on the angle iron frame I built today.
Last edited by norman on Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Congrats on your success, Norman. Looking forward to some pics!

Harold
norman

Post by norman »

Video of the shaper operating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyNMzSj7yfo
tomc

Post by tomc »

Norman,

Thanks for the Video, you confirmed what I thought a shaper did.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

That's outta sight! 8)

Very well done.

Harold
norman

Post by norman »

I think having a shaper in operation in your shop is like have a room full of parrots that eat aluminum seeds, spitting the shells all over the shop!!! Like they do with bird seed shells.
But the machine is fun to mess with as long as you don't fall asleep watching it. Geee its nasty and slow.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

norman wrote:the machine is fun to mess with as long as you don't fall asleep watching it. Geee its nasty and slow.
Yep! Didn't take industry all that long to figure that out, either. Shapers, as you likely know, are almost never found in use these days, although some folks swear by them. Problem comes from all the lost motion. They cut less than 50% of their cycle, so they're not very efficient. Still neat to own, though.

Harold