Snap together ductwork - Pittsburgh

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Vern2

Snap together ductwork - Pittsburgh

Post by Vern2 »

Have a 36" straight break.

I would like to make a small box for a plenum 32"x24"x12". The box will be mounted on top of an air handler for a 2 ton air conditioner(heat pump/remote for shop next spring). I'm using 3 - 10" round ducts with a baffle in each run to control air flow. Home Depot carries the duct and the tab adapters. I'll have to order the 10" baffles on net. I might try the intake filter jack if I have any success with the plenum box. I've searched the net without success for some kind of starting point. Asked this on another forum. They said it was too hard to do. It does not have to be in one piece. Was also told to buy it. Round duct is all stores have. I have to get the plenum made custom $.
Last edited by Vern2 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Vern2

Re: Snap together ductwork

Post by Vern2 »

Looking at maybe not simple with a 36" stright break, but here goes. Of course this is a top and bottom piece. I do have a 4" wide Visegrips, I'll put as much of an angle on 1" flap as possible, rivet or screw flap.

Now is there an easer way to bend this plenum box? I may have too leave a little more room then 12" for the 10" duct (14").

ken572

Post by ken572 »

Hello Vern2,
The one thing you want to remember is to Add or Delete the thickness of the metal to
your bend line on each bend, depending on which side of the line you are bending from.
Ken.
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Vern2

Post by Vern2 »

ken572,
When I clamp the metal in the press I thought the bend would always be made on the outside of the clamp. The problem is the piece bending up, will be shorter by the width of the material being bent up. So any materal being bent on the outside of the break should include the width of the material and how tight the bend is. I know in the directions, the bend can be adjusted for aluminum to keep it from cracking.
Vern2

Post by Vern2 »

Is it a better idea to put the tabs on one side for the bottom and the top on the other side? I'm asking that because it's a straight brake, without fingers.
Last edited by Vern2 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

That would work!!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Vern2

Post by Vern2 »

This plan has change to a Ductless heat pump. Another name is a mini split.

Here's the plans or shop layout for condenser and two 9,000 btu remote units, not using a plenum box now. The units are in light blue. The tool move is taking place for the enclosed room area for this unit
http://www.younits.com/mitsubishi-mr-sl ... -3804.html

Vern2

How to Snap together duct - Pittsburgh Seam

Post by Vern2 »

I found out how to do snap together duct work with a brake.

Video here http://youtu.be/aWngXCjD4rw