Whats in a Name?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

steamin10

Whats in a Name?

Post by steamin10 »

I have a problem that I have ignored, and now I think I need to work on an answer.

I had a Domain name some time ago at Go-daddy. When my site lapsed with them, some raider took the name and wanted to charge me for the name I started. Other than paying this organization, what are my options other than bastardizing the spelling or some such dodge that will not serve the use well. I assume this has happened to others before.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Walt Lindsay

Re: Whats in a Name?

Post by Walt Lindsay »

Hello Dave

Sorry to say but you are toast.

There's lots of domain names, just look in the encyclopedia, but the IP address are running out...

Pick any name but do it soon ! ! Lock up the IP address.

The raiders have gotten one of my Domain names - as for as I'm concerned it's gone forever...

You can try to bargain with them :evil:

Good Luck
WALT
WALT

In the event of an EXTREME EMERGENCY most of those who are prepared will survive,
all the rest will perish.
KE6IWK
JHenriksen

Post by JHenriksen »

How about a denial of service attack on the raider? Every one here can forward all their spam and junk mail to your old domain.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Why could they just add a # 1 to the front of the IP address?